indian Minor or Butcher Bird troubles

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
shnapper20

my brother in law sells electric fences and assures me it wont kill anything just jolt them. its a thunderbird m25 elec fence it draws 2w and its output voltage is 8.4kv stored energy 0.26joules output energy 0.16joules into1000ohms. I hope that helped when i place a screwdriver between the wire and the cage it sparked so I figure its working. I placed a wire around the bottom of my new cage to deter my labs from going through the 6mm wire to get the birds. So if they keep clear ill know its working. Because both aviaries are on concrete I earthed the frame to a ground spike, If that hadn't worked I would have had to have gone with alternating strand of active and earth, but the ground spike appears to have done the job. I placed a screwdriver across the elec wire and the cage, i then ran around with my volt meter to see if there was any stray current buzzing around the frame, I got no readings. The elec wires sit about an inch off the cage. I tensioned them and crimped them with fishing line crimps. For the past 3months I've kept finding dead birds with broken necks. My trap has been ignored, obviously caught before, so hopefully this will be the end of butcher bird harassment.
starman

Very informative and helpful...thank you John.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
E Orix

I have 2 types one that just plugs into a power point which is quite safe and just gives a kick like holding on
to a car spark plug. All voltage and no amps.
The second is a solar powered one works just as well and is totally safe unless you have a pacemaker.
starman

I would be interested in looking at the specs of your units EO (via Mr Google).....if I could get the make and model numbers it would be very helpful. I'm a tragic DIYer and have already printed a circuit board and populated it, but I'm interested to know if I'm on the right track re any modifications that might be necessary to deliver an adequate but not excessive 'kick' (voltage/amperage ratios). Not wanting to kill or injure, just want to enforce the 'desist' option.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
shnapper20

thunderbird electric fencing systems, model M25

Return to “The Lounge”