Old fashioned?.

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
collector_and_buyer

I am not sure whether i am old fashioned,or just not with it,but why do people abbreviate any word where they can,into this modern jargon.Surely the split second it takes to type in the full word is not that hard.I know this may stir the possum a bit,but what do others think.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It annoys me a little bit too. If people want their thoughts/opinion to be read and respected, they should at least respect their audience enough to correctly use the English language.

Having said that; after watching some of my more age-afflicted family members type out messages with two fingers at a rate somewhere near five words per decade, I can certainly understand why they might be willing to comprise form for efficiency and turn that "See you later!" into a "c u l8r"
Craig52

It's the sign of the times guys, with everyone using text messages now. You have got to cut them real short before you crash into someone on the street or in your car. :? :crazy: hence the hyroglithics
So the habit continues whether you are txt'ing ;-) or at home on your computer. Oh the joys of being old. ;-) Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Being mature :think: but definately not old. I mostly type every word, but am helped by being a touch typeist for letters. And I don;t understand some of those abbreviations :silent: anyway.
LML
LML
wagga

Craig52 wrote:It's the sign of the times guys, with everyone using text messages now. You have got to cut them real short before you crash into someone on the street or in your car. :? :crazy: hence the hyroglithics
So the habit continues whether you are txt'ing ;-) or at home on your computer . Oh the joys of being old. Craig
Thank you Craig for your time in responding to this fellow Aussie Finch Forum member's post. So that not to create any possible confusion in my mind in any current or future readings of such posts. I would like to ask you to clarify a couple of things for myself and probably over members who part take in reading this particular post.
It's the sign of the times guys
What is or how do I find this sign displaying the 'times guys'
text messages
What is a text messages.
cut them real short before you crash into someone on the street or in your car.
So, if I find this text message thing how small do the pieces have to cut it into before I crash into that poor innocent person or my car.
crazy: hence the hyroglithics
Now to read such things you suggest that being crazy helps the receiving person to be able to read ancient hyroglithics.
habit continues whether you are txt'ing
So do I have to routinely do 'txting' and to whom and where are they located.
at home on your computer
Where do I find this 'computer' in my home.
Oh the joys of being old.
Why do I have to be joyful and old at the same time.

This is still very confusing to myself could you please explain.

Yours Sincerely
Wagga
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Craig52

wagga wrote:
Craig52 wrote:It's the sign of the times guys, with everyone using text messages now. You have got to cut them real short before you crash into someone on the street or in your car. :? :crazy: hence the hyroglithics
So the habit continues whether you are txt'ing ;-) or at home on your computer . Oh the joys of being old. Craig
Thank you Craig for your time in responding to this fellow Aussie Finch Forum member's post. So that not to create any possible confusion in my mind in any current or future readings of such posts. I would like to ask you to clarify a couple of things for myself and probably over members who part take in reading this particular post.
It's the sign of the times guys
What is or how do I find this sign displaying the 'times guys'
text messages
What is a text messages.
cut them real short before you crash into someone on the street or in your car.
So, if I find this text message thing how small do the pieces have to cut it into before I crash into that poor innocent person or my car.
crazy: hence the hyroglithics
Now to read such things you suggest that being crazy helps the receiving person to be able to read ancient hyroglithics.
habit continues whether you are txt'ing
So do I have to routinely do 'txting' and to whom and where are they located.
at home on your computer
Where do I find this 'computer' in my home.
Oh the joys of being old.
Why do I have to be joyful and old at the same time.

This is still very confusing to myself could you please explain.

Yours Sincerely
Wagga
No sign to be found Al, it's invisible but when you get older you can look back on your own life and compare with with the lives of the new generation and that to me is scary when i think of my Grand kids future but in saying that they don't know any different because they have been bought up/born into this technology.
Well that's just g8 m8,
The above is used very often on other public forums though not hyroglithics most of the it stumps me when i get to them whilst reading a post and those are just two examples of hundreds.
Ok, I call it text'ing you may call it an SMS, i laugh to myself when i see mobile phones stuck to people's ears or see them messaging someone as they are walking along the busy footpaths in large cities.Most are so involved that they walk into "sign posts or just other people or other fixed objects. My phone is mostly used to make and take phone calls,not the internet and not to play distracting games.
The joys of being old means you can sit back and watch what is going on in this world,be it bad or good. Not have someone looking over your shoulder or running around like a mad person, and to do your own thing with what's left of your life so to me that is a joy.
Thanks for the Roasting Al, if i try to write more the forum will log me out because i have written full words and not taken short cuts it has happened before and i get so peed off that i have taken too long and lost my whole post.. :wave: Craig
arthur

The poem below was found on the 'web' and is attributable to "heyu" who is obviously of the same vintage as a few of the 'regulars' on this forum

It may be 'off topic' . . but this is the place to post 'anything and everything'

And, despite the popular misconception, older people are MORE tolerant of the misgivings of the young . . They have to be :irked:

And if the young'uns don't like it . . they can do the other thing :innocent:

THE GOOD OLD DAYS

The home's air conditioned,with carpeted floors
and a push button opens twin garage doors
and my plasma TV is much bigger than yours
yet we talk, of the good old days

The car's automatic , the microwave too
all technically tuned so they know what to do
there's no challenges lto face me and you
so we think, of the good old days

But why do we call them the good old days
since life was much harder in so many ways
and why do so many , be they baldies or greys
still yearn, for the mem'ries of good old days

Those days were harsh, those days were tough
there were times when we didn't have food enough
and most everyone knew, what it meant living rough
back then, in the good old days

You had to have coupons for butter or meat
we were lucky to even have shoes on our feet
and many's the time when the tea wasn't sweet
yet, they were the good old days

The clothes were all "hand me downs"that we wore
and trousers seemed to have patches galore
and your Sunday best had been owned before
way back, in the good old days

Our neighbours, well they were all battlers too
but you didn't hide it, 'cause everyone knew
so we all just kinda kept on battling through
back then, in the good old days

If a mate shot some rabbits, he would give you a pair
his daughters would come and let mum curl their hair
but today you don't find that same love everywhere
that's why they were the good old days

The butcher sold offcuts, a penny a bag
which made the dog's tail give an extra big wag
and he always put bits for a stew in that bag
Folks were nice in the good old days

So it's not what we had, that makes us reminisce
but the people we were, that's the thing we most miss
how great would it be, if there were some ways
we could change the world back..To the good old days

heyu
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To simplify. There is always good and bad in the present and the past. :thumbup: And we all want the bits we are comfortable with.
LML
LML
arthur

Or . .

In the words of a somewhat more celebrated 'wordsmith' from a poem in praise of a bird . . (back on topic) :innocent:

"We look before and after,
And pine for what is not:
Our sincerest laughter
With some pain is fraught;
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

P.B.S

And those words were penned in the "Good Old Days" . . :silent:
arthur

finchbreeder wrote:And I don;t understand some of those abbreviations :silent: anyway.
LML
Saw one such abbreviation one of those 'travelling converted buses' and asked my better half what it meant

She didn't know . .

But Professor Google did . .

And it doesn't bear repeating :o

Return to “The Lounge”