Gouldian death

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Ajw132

Hi my gouldian aviary seems something is wrong one pair dead in the nest box and water bowl I have wormed with ivermectin a nd used Baycox the birds were all skinny before treatment and I have sprayed aviary with coopex I am going to use moxi plus just in case tapeworm my mixed aviary is fine any suggestions thanks
paintedfiretail

I would be looking for a avian vet my self before you loose the lot.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pair in nest? Did they have young? If they didn't something may have scared them in there as mine don't sleep in boxes unless young in nest. ..thinking vermin at night.....otherwise what about a cold snap?
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you have your perches away from the wire to deter predators?
LML
LML
Craig52

Ajw132 I have sent you a private message, please read. Thanks, Craig
starman

Ajw, I hope you have had no more losses. Have you considered some sort of toxicological event , possibly from medication or cleaning agents?

Multiple deaths within a such short time frame may suggest water or food contamination. I will be very happy to be wrong, but I thought it worth mentioning.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Tiaris

If as you said the birds are/were skinny & recently acquired, it is likely they were already sick/infected/on death's door when you brought them home.
gomer

Be very careful you dont overdose with the ivermectin and moxidectin using so soon in between uses as both of these do not just pass through the system.You should wait about two weeks before re worming . Did you use the previous drugs correctly ? was the ivermectin a pour on or oral application. If the birds where in very poor condition as Tiaris said and if you are worming in very bad conditions you can expect losses.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Ajw132

Hi thanks for your thoughts ivermectin was one or 2 drops the avian vet said once weekly for 3 weeks so followed his advice I did for 2 weeks as well as Baycox apart from the dead birds the others are starting to look better after all the advice I've bought moxi plus but have had various advice as to worm or not to still not sure but won't be using ivermectin again if I do it will be with moxi plus and will be keeping Baycox handy as well as coopex feeding them plenty of greens to improve there condition I have found they don't particularly plow threw greens and grain seed mix thanks again for all your help and advice i only seem to have had issues with my gouldians all the other finches seem fine I have been advised to worm with moxi plus twice a year yet others say they don't worm their birds any thoughts?
Ajw132

Ajw132 wrote: 12 May 2017, 13:52 Hi thanks for your thoughts ivermectin was one or 2 drops the avian vet said once weekly for 3 weeks so followed his advice I did for 2 weeks as well as Baycox apart from the dead birds the others are starting to look better after all the advice I've bought moxi plus but have had various advice as to worm or not to still not sure but won't be using ivermectin again if I do it will be with moxi plus and will be keeping Baycox handy as well as coopex feeding them plenty of greens to improve there condition I have found they don't particularly plow threw greens and grain seed mix thanks again for all your help and advice i only seem to have had issues with my gouldians all the other finches seem fine I have been advised to worm with moxi plus twice a year yet others say they don't worm their birds any thoughts?
by the way thanks to this forum I now know about gouldians and cocci and wet conditions but would like to know how often you can use Baycox if they get fluffy after rain periods

Return to “The Lounge”