Finch query

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 16:49 Not necessarily a finch with the same volume as canaries but a finch with an audiable whistle as I quite like the sound of birds whistling.
Might look into the singers
I don't know if you've got many of the European finches over in Aussie but if you are able to find any Linnets then these really are the bird you want,

By all means go for the green singers but seriously if you can find any Linnets you'll never want another finch for song,

I've specilised in linnets for about 30 years and is only last year i decided to sell all of me British and European finches because I'm now purely concentrating on waxbills :mrgreen:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A lot of what you can keep together depends on the size of the avairy. A larger avairy gives a wider choice. Javas are fine and have a beautiful song, if the avairy is spacious, with lots of nests for everyone. And it always depends on the individual birds personality too. Some Cubans are fine with Orange Breasteds, some are not, they have a lovely little song.
LML
LML
Tiaris

No Linnets here now.
Tiaris

I wouldn't be putting Javas in with Plumheads, OBs, etc. if you wish to breed them.
nicko

finchbreeder the aviary is 3x3m planted, been looking around & thinking maybe either siskans or green singers
starman

STUART WHITING wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 17:15
nicko wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 16:49
I don't know if you've got many of the European finches over in Aussie but if you are able to find any Linnets then these really are the bird you want,
Hi Stuart,
We don't have huge numbers of European finches here. Historically, we have had Bullfinches, European Siskins, European Linnets, European Greenfinches, European Goldfinches and Redpolls. The only ones that I'm sure still exist are Goldfinches and Greenfinches....both are readily available and inexpensive. The Goldfinch has been long-established in the wild and as it is non-native is commonly trapped. Along with the Greenfinch, it is also aviary bred. I'm not sure of the current status of any of the others.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
STUART WHITING

starman wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 22:44 [quote="STUART WHITING" post_id=181374 time=<a href="tel:1496560515">1496560515</a> user_id=19590]
[quote=nicko post_id=181370 time=<a href="tel:1496558947">1496558947</a> user_id=16323]

[/quote]
Hi Stuart,
We don't have huge numbers of European finches here. Historically, we have had Bullfinches, European Siskins, European Linnets, European Greenfinches, European Goldfinches and Redpolls. The only ones that I'm sure still exist are Goldfinches and Greenfinches....both are readily available and inexpensive. The Goldfinch has been long-established in the wild and as it is non-native is commonly trapped. Along with the Greenfinch, it is also aviary bred. I'm not sure of the current status of any of the others.
[/quote]
Tiaris wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 21:04 No Linnets here now.
Oh right ok, that's a shame not having linnets over in Aussie, mind you if you've got goldies there then these are quite nice singing birds aswell,
Over here in England some breeders are still very up on the quality of singing goldies :thumbup:
starman

Stuart, I checked out your WFS site...it seems that you have access to a few nice birds that are unavailable here, but I expect that the reverse is also true.
Is the EU still banning importation from some countries (avian flu prevention) or has that been relaxed ?
Sm.
nicko

Ok what's your opinions guys - Siskins or Green singers
starman

1 Vote - Green Singers. :thumbup:
Sm.

Return to “The Lounge”