Finch query

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
george gaoutsos

I prefer the siskens because they have a longer singing span.
nicko wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 16:24 Ok what's your opinions guys - Siskins or Green singers
E Orix

Personal opinion non can be classed as great song birds as most are seasonal singers.
To me the ultimate (seedeater)song bird is the Sky Lark. They will out sing a Pekin Robin which
is a pretty good effort.
Thanks to a Forum member I now have them back in my collection.
STUART WHITING

starman wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 10:57 Stuart, I checked out your WFS site...it seems that you have access to a few nice birds that are unavailable here, but I expect that the reverse is also true.
Is the EU still banning importation from some countries (avian flu prevention) or has that been relaxed ?
Hi there,

Yea mate we do have access to quite a variety of waxbills here but these are all English avairy bred birds, it's been like this for many years since the African and EU importation ban, it certainly hasn't been lifted and relaxed but to be honest over here in the uk apart from the odd few birds that we might have difficulty in obtaining we appear to have most species being bred and have now got some very good strains of birds being bred and I feel that because of this a lot of the birds are becoming quite domesticated and becoming easier to breed,

One only needs to take a look at the well known European breeder Paul de neil and the way he breeds his waxbills, his recipes have hardly any live food involved and predominantly rears many waxbills on just a mix of soak seed, egg food and just a handful of frozen pinkies ( frozen maggots ) :crazy: me personally I'm used to using soak seed and plenty of live blow flow fly maggots :thumbup:

Here in the UK we've come an awful long way with the waxbills and hopefully for the better,

Be lucky
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 16:24 Ok what's your opinions guys - Siskins or Green singers
To be perfectly honest mate there's no comparison......definitely Green singers :mrgreen:

Be lucky
STUART WHITING

E Orix wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 17:12 Personal opinion non can be classed as great song birds as most are seasonal singers.
To me the ultimate (seedeater)song bird is the Sky Lark. They will out sing a Pekin Robin which
is a pretty good effort.
Thanks to a Forum member I now have them back in my collection.
Arh yes I have to agree here, we have a few breeders of the lark here and can often see them over the fields local to me hovering high up in the sky singing,

One of the very best country sounds that one could listen to :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

george gaoutsos wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 16:44 I prefer the siskens because they have a longer singing span.
Might actually depend on what sub specie of Siskins, the European Siskin does sing but having bred these for over 30 years I wouldn't really say that they are the greatest of singers,

However throughout the world there are many other Siskins and I've not had other Siskins like the red Siskin etc and these perhaps may sing a little better
Mycoola

With regular worming with moxidectin plus air sac mite will be kept in check, gouldians are just as prone with or without canaries present, regular treatment as for worms is a must. All my birds ,finchs,parrots, chooks etc are all regularly treated with moxi plus.
STUART WHITING

Mycoola wrote: 05 Jun 2017, 19:12 With regular worming with moxidectin plus air sac mite will be kept in check, gouldians are just as prone with or without canaries present, regular treatment as for worms is a must. All my birds ,finchs,parrots, chooks etc are all regularly treated with moxi plus.
:wave: Absolutely :thumbup:
Tiaris

Red & Yellow Siskins are the only Siskin options in Australia.

Air Sac Mite in finches is far more likely where canaries are also kept with the finches. Agreed, regular use of moxy is an effective treatment of ASM but in beginners collections where it is most common that canaries & finches are mixed (crude generalisation I know) regular worming is not commonly practiced (another crude generalisation, but I stand by it) nor is regular worming necessary for Canaries & Gouldians compared to most other finches - they are more likely to benefit from the ASM control which the moxy offers but are generally far less prone to worm infestation due to their non-insectivorous diets. Canaries mixed with the smaller & more timid finches & waxbills will also hamper breeding success in the finches due largely to the more boisterous/dominant temperament of canaries. Ideal to keep finches & canaries separate for the best care of both IMO. Keeping newly acquired birds separate from your collection for a few weeks of observation (& treatment if necessary) is the best way to prevent introduction of problem mites, worms, etc. from new birds to the rest of your collection..
nicko

Tiaris wrote: 06 Jun 2017, 07:31Air Sac Mite in finches is far more likely where canaries are also kept with the finches. Agreed, regular use of moxy is an effective treatment of ASM but in beginners collections where it is most common that canaries & finches are mixed (crude generalisation I know) regular worming is not commonly practiced (another crude generalisation, but I stand by it) nor is regular worming necessary for Canaries & Gouldians compared to most other finches - they are more likely to benefit from the ASM control which the moxy offers but are generally far less prone to worm infestation due to their non-insectivorous diets. Canaries mixed with the smaller & more timid finches & waxbills will also hamper breeding success in the finches due largely to the more boisterous/dominant temperament of canaries. Ideal to keep finches & canaries separate for the best care of both IMO. Keeping newly acquired birds separate from your collection for a few weeks of observation (& treatment if necessary) is the best way to prevent introduction of problem mites, worms, etc. from new birds to the rest of your collection..
Yeah thats some of the reasons why I want to separate them, I've a regular moxi treatment anyway so no issues there.
I'm sort of obligated to keep the canaries as they were a xmas present (I'd like to sell them but can't think of a good explanation why they're gone) & are in with the finches untill I build another aviary.

Return to “The Lounge”