Finch query

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
nicko

Have a mixed aviary of finches plums, o/breasts, d/bars, st helena's & 4 canaries (xmas present) but the canaries are eating me out of house & home so are there any compatable finches that have a "loud" song as I rather like the canary song - but, it's also not a good idea to mix finches & canaries coz of the health issues canaries can have.
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 22:01 Have a mixed aviary of finches plums, o/breasts, d/bars, st helena's & 4 canaries (xmas present) but the canaries are eating me out of house & home so are there any compatable finches that have a "loud" song as I rather like the canary song - but, it's also not a good idea to mix finches & canaries coz of the health issues canaries can have.
Would be interested to know what you mean by canary health issues :eh:

For many years canaries have always been associated with finches and would need to consider that it's how many mules are bred and not just with British / European finches but with foreign finches aswell,

If yer looking for quality singing finches then the best that I know of are without a doubt the gold finches and linnets,

As regards to foreign finches the peters twinspot, blue cap waxbills, strawberry finches and green singing finches are renowned for their song amongst many others :thumbup:

Be lucky
Tiaris

Canaries are very prone to (and common carriers of) air sac mite which they readily pass onto finches sharing their enclosure.

Green Singers would be the best choice for song quality in finches. Siskins would also be a good choice.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 08:25 Canaries are very prone to (and common carriers of) air sac mite which they readily pass onto finches sharing their enclosure.

Green Singers would be the best choice for song quality in finches. Siskins would also be a good choice.
Yea mate I do agree with you on that one that canaries can have problems with the air sack might, thankfully I've not experienced this to much in the many years that I've had canaries with various European finches :thumbup:

Must admit that I do like a good siskin with plenty of work ( markings ) on it and the song is quite pleasing :mrgreen:
nicko

Stuart it was mainly the air sac mite.
I did think of singers but thought they would be a bit aggressive mixed with the finches I have, same with strawberries
jonno0383

Singers aren't normally too bad in mixed collections. I've never had issues with aggression from them and I've housed them with a wide variety of finches. I'd have to say that they're probably your best bet for matching canaries as singers. :thumbup:
Tiaris

Strawberry Finches wouldn't have aggression issues but would hybridise with your Orangebreasts so I didn't recommend them.
nicko

Not necessarily a finch with the same volume as canaries but a finch with an audiable whistle as I quite like the sound of birds whistling.
Might look into the singers
STUART WHITING

nicko wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 11:09 Stuart it was mainly the air sac mite.
I did think of singers but thought they would be a bit aggressive mixed with the finches I have, same with strawberries
If the singers are in a reasonable size flight then there should be no problems with mixing them,

The problems normally faced with strawberries is during the breeding season if you've also got other red feathered birds IE like Crimson finches etc that could become disruptive,

The singers should be fine :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 04 Jun 2017, 13:53 Strawberry Finches wouldn't have aggression issues but would hybridise with your Orangebreasts so I didn't recommend them.
Very true indeed :thumbup:

Return to “The Lounge”