Pictorella V Crimson Finch

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Boma

I'll looking to expand my finch collection and would like to get either Pictorellas or Crimson Finches. Just want to get a single pair and they will be in their own covered Avery (5m long, 2.4m wide, 2m high) and meal worms can be supplied. Which ones are easiest to breed?
arthur

Aviary size is more than adequate for one pair of either variety . . both enjoy reasonable and adequate protection

Not up with prices . . but that should not really be a factor . . probably comparable

Food requirements are similar and both will breed without live food if adequate soaked seed/ green seeding grasses are supplied . . but will go better with live food . . Whiteants by far the best; Maggots next; Mealworms a relatively poor third

If you are a beginner Piccies are tougher, and they would be my recommendation
Craig52

In an aviary that size a couple of prs of pictorella's and one pr of crimsons would be fine imo. Pictorella's tend to be more of a ground type finch where as crimsons stay up in the higher part of an aviary. Both need live food during the breeding season being in order of termites/maggots/mealworms or all of them plus copious amounts of seeding grasses and soaked/sprouted seed. Craig
Boma

Thanks Arthur and Craig, looks like I will have to learn how to collect termites and breed maggots.
arthur

Yep . . :thumbup:

But, what a great way to spend a weekend . .

Just ask your wife :lol:

Return to “The Lounge”