Finches in Australia (New Book)

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
nswchainsaw

Darkangel1977

Hi anyone picked up a copy ofvthis book. Im curious as to its contents, info, photos etc..???

Cheers
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
Tiaris

I am also curious as to its contents as I had significant plagiarism issues with this Author's previous offering on Zebra Finches.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The Zeb book does have a lot of good photos and info though. No idea about plagiarism.
LML
LML
MuzzaD

Very good book for photos and general knowledge of Australian finches and their maintenance etc.

The previous book was coauthored. There was an article sent to one of the authors that turned out to be from a published work. In my belief this was clarified and Harry Doven was cleared of any problems.
He is one of Australia's leading Zebra breeders and show exhibitors and he is extremely knowledgeable with the keeping and breeding of Finches in general.

I am a member of the Finch club he co founded some 40 years ago and the Zebra club he is President of, but feel comfortable in acknowledging his credibility and knowledge without preconceived bias.
He worked on this book for over 3 years I believe.

As an aside:- John Marsden the Australian best selling author once said he refrains from reading other authors young readers books as phrases, plots etc can stick and you can unconsciously regurgitate them thinking it is your own thoughts. The music industry is full of situations like this.
Tiaris

3 pages of text verbatum goes well beyond thinking its your own.
Darkangel1977

MuzzaD wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 13:27 Very good book for photos and general knowledge of Australian finches and their maintenance etc.

The previous book was coauthored. There was an article sent to one of the authors that turned out to be from a published work. In my belief this was clarified and Harry Doven was cleared of any problems.
He is one of Australia's leading Zebra breeders and show exhibitors and he is extremely knowledgeable with the keeping and breeding of Finches in general.

I am a member of the Finch club he co founded some 40 years ago and the Zebra club he is President of, but feel comfortable in acknowledging his credibility and knowledge without preconceived bias.
He worked on this book for over 3 years I believe.

As an aside:- John Marsden the Australian best selling author once said he refrains from reading other authors young readers books as phrases, plots etc can stick and you can unconsciously regurgitate them thinking it is your own thoughts. The music industry is full of situations like this.
Sounds good. I may check it out. Worth the price?
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
MuzzaD

I am probably the wrong one to ask re value. I just love books and usually find something of value that I learn from them.
One small idea can bring big rewards in breeding.
But in saying that, I found it a good read with valuable info so yes worth the price.

Return to “The Lounge”