still learning

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
shnapper20

Hi I put three grenies on the perch last season my (my birds)best effort yet, all set to run 2 colonies in 2 separate aviaries. Put the young in a holding aviary which adjoins another, been there 3-4 mths, all good opened up the adjoining aviary to the holding aviary as I figured more room to fly 2 feed stations . Well the feed station in the holding aviary emptied, yet the station in the adjoining was full. 2 of my young grenies died I believe from starvation, I hadn't noticed the empty feed station as I hadnt been as digulent knowing there was a least 1 full station between the 2 aviaries. When I think back, the other birds I noticed feeding from both stations but not these 2. I feel bad, Its bad enough losing birds to butcher birds, disease, cold but when you starve them. I intend to make sure all my feed stations remain full regardless of whether there is another near by. Has anyone else experienced similar?
E Orix

When I left for the Qld convention I had 3 blue and one split baby Gouldians in a breeding cage.
On my arrival home a blue and a split were dead. Only one chick actually perch the others just hopped
around the floor waiting to be fed.
I realised what had happened, the parents had gone down again and weaned the chicks.
The 3 birds on the floor just didn't realise that they had to perch to access the drinker so
2 died from dehydration, the 3rd I managed to save. All I needed to do was place a small D cup of
water on the cage floor and they would have been fine.
As you say you never stop learning

Return to “The Lounge”