Breeding in cages

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Ajw132

Just wondering on people's thoughts about breding in cages 75cm x 50 cm x 50 cm and if this is a viable what birds would do well in this senario and what height above ground should they be placed thanks in advance
starman

Tony....in my opinion, that size enclosure is really only suitable for fully domesticated species or one breeding pair in isolation (temporary). The smallest enclosure that I am happy using is 1200 x 600 x 600 mm. This I use for my quarantine enclosure for only one or two pairs. It is of plywood construction with a double wired front and has extra insulation of 25mm of sandwiched foam between the ply ceiling and the poly roofing.... it sits one metre from the ground (pet proofing). Apart from quarantine use I try not house anything in it for too long, although it also gets occasional use as the "naughty corner". I'm not saying that this is the minimum standard that you should adopt, but it is the minimum size that sits well with my conscience.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Ajw132

Thanks for your thoughts and advice just thought I see people's thoughts after reading other posts
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I avairy breed in nothing under 700w x 1500l x 2000h - However for selective breeding of Gouldians and or Zebs the size you menioned would be suitable.
The birds would do better, I think if they spend the non breeding season in avairys.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”