Seeding grass

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
branchez

Came across this lot this morning.
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BrettB

Called Algerian oats here in Perth
Has been seeding for weeks, birds love it

Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
STUART WHITING

Interesting, cheers, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
garyh

Feed as much of this seed as i can get,all birds go for it ,gouldians love it,garyh
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Been feeding it to my finches for over 20yrs. They love it.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

been using it for years just make sure that it hasn't been sprayed with herbicide by any of the councils another good one is winter grass seed heads. and milk thistle for siskins cheers mick
Storz

Thought I would share what I use for seeding grasses, over 25 tussocks growing in my aviary seeding at the right time, thus eliminating the need to cut and supply daily
Storz
IMG_0277.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
STUART WHITING

Storz wrote: 26 Oct 2017, 20:10 Thought I would share what I use for seeding grasses, over 25 tussocks growing in my aviary seeding at the right time, thus eliminating the need to cut and supply daily
Storz

IMG_0277.JPG
Wow what a lovely looking avairy, looks so very natural, can sure see a few birds being bred in that kind of environment, nice one, well done :thumbup:
gomer

Storz wrote: 26 Oct 2017, 20:10 Thought I would share what I use for seeding grasses, over 25 tussocks growing in my aviary seeding at the right time, thus eliminating the need to cut and supply daily
Storz

IMG_0277.JPG
Its called Vedt Oats this way, native to Africa. Larry there is plenty out at Both Falls In Hamilton and surrounds usually in sheltered moist areas from the sun. Best for the larger finches to eat as it has a large seed head. You need to look for it where livestock have not had access to for some time as it would have allowed it to go to seed. It is in that S.A paperbook "what seeding grass is that" I think its called, I dont have a copy of. I believe it has a high rating.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Storz

gomer wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 07:27
Storz

IMG_0277.JPG
Its called Vedt Oats this way, native to Africa. Larry there is plenty out at Both Falls In Hamilton and surrounds usually in sheltered moist areas from the sun. Best for the larger finches to eat as it has a large seed head. You need to look for it where livestock have not had access to for some time as it would have allowed it to go to seed. It is in that S.A paperbook "what seeding grass is that" I think its called, I dont have a copy of. I believe it has a high rating.
I dug it out of a paddock just north of me that is not shaded or damp, also on top of a mountain just south of Hamilton it grows on top in abundance in full sun. I know it as common tussock-grass, (Poa labillardierei) it is a species of tussock grass that is endemic to Australia.

Return to “The Lounge”