Aussie bird count

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Redwing

Hope everyone is taking part in this. I only discovered it yesterday. It goes for a week and you are asked to count the birds that visit your backyard (park, local lake or whatever)over the space of 20 minutes each day. Its very easy to do and a very user friendly format which gives help with identification if you're in doubt. Apparently the highest count in 2016 was the rainbow lorikeet! It really made me aware yesterday that our flock of New Hollands that have been living/breeding for over 10 years in our neighborhood seem to have totally disappeared and yesterday saw no other small birds apart from one pair of singing honeyeaters. What we now have are more large birds such as wattle birds, ravens and a pair of butcher birds who moved in 2 years ago and of course lots of loris.
starman

Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
BrettB

Sadly, I suspect the rainbow lorikeets will top the list in Perth again this year
Another introduced species that has thrived and displaced the native parrots.
Fortunately the New Holland, Brown and Singing honeyeaters all remain common in my area, along with the ubiquitous magpies, ravens, wattle birds, mudlarks, doves and willie wagtails (that nest most years in our avocado tree)
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One problem that unfortunately is not likely to be seen as a problem yet is. The destruction of the Blue Wrens habitat for "beautification" and housing. No one will think it is a problem till it is too late and they are no longer abundant, but the people who run this count have noted that they are a sedantry bird with families occupying the same habitat area for 15/20yrs with little movement. So knock over all habitat within 1/2km and you are causing a big problem for their continuation. Need to get councils and develpers to leave habitat every 200mtrs
Off my soap box now. :silent:
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”