Wintertime observations

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
TimidFinch

This winter had me nervous! We had the most freezing mins and frosts since the mid-00s drought.

I was particularly fearful for my gouldians, but - perhaps testament to our local breeders - they were fine. My ferns melted, the aviary water froze over, but they're looking good.

There were some very blustery nights, too, and despite my efforts, drafts invaded the aviary, but I recorded no casualties.

Also, I changed my aviary floor from sand to red gum wood chips and found that the red gum chips definitely dried faster than the sand this time of year. It looks much better, too, as it doesn't contrast with the plants so much.

The Zebs were fine, of course. Unlike the Gouldians, they don't roost in the dumbest spot possible.

I would like to add some Cordons this spring... Does anyone know how they fair in cooler temperatures? (Keeping in mind my aviary get's a little drafty).
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Winter here was also chillyer than normal. A couple of occurences of hale stones in one year is really out of the ordinary in sunny WA. So while most birds coped well. I did lose a Gouldian hen I really would rather not have. Might have to try imitating some of the city people with cafe blinds or something similar. Glad thing went well for you TF
LML
LML
collector_and_buyer

Cafe blinds,worth their weight in gold,imo.You will need to stop them from flapping in the wind though.

Return to “The Lounge”