Wheres there's a will ...

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
BrettB

I breed three pairs of Gouldians in my aviary each year, boxes go in February and taken out after two rounds to give the birds a spell.
Each year some pairs decide they are not "finished" and will attempt to nest, rough structure on the floor or behind the seed bin.
Usually I find these and remove them before any chicks hatch.

Seem the birds are getting smarter
This nest was under the paper I cover the floor with to make it easier to clean
Lucky I did not step on them !!
4 healthy chicks at pin feather stage
Web.JPG
No way these chicks are going to be fully colored by the end of December.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
STUART WHITING

Just goes to show hey Brett, birds are sure not daft,

Sometimes we just need to give em that little more credit,

You mention December, obviously yer times / seasons are different to me here in the uk but why is December important to you, just curious that's all :D
Tiaris

Our Gouldians' annual moult finishes around December.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 27 Oct 2017, 09:41 Our Gouldians' annual moult finishes around December.
Arh right yea I got yer :thumbup:

Do yer shows normally start early in the new year Tiaris IE January, February, March etc or are yer now thinking of getting birds ready for breeding again over the next few months of the new year,

Over hear in England most of us would breed during our English summers, the birds would then moult out late summer early autumn and then our shows are normally Autumn and just into the start of winter :thumbup:

The British birds however would have their shows throughout the whole winter and the last show being March just as Spring is approaching
Tiaris

I don't know if there is a show season as such here. I don't show birds. I think the clubs mostly just try to put them on when they don't clash with other shows. There is only one "Gouldian show" that I know of in Australia but it isn't just a show for Gouldians - just that its held in January when Gouldians are in prime condition after the moult. (QFS one). I don't know of many other shows at that time of year.
BrettB

why is December important to you
Hi Stuart
In Australia all the Gouldian's complete their moult in December, irrespective of when they fledged.
Birds fledged late in the year, like these ones, will not complete the moult till Dec 2018 when they will be 15 months old.

I usually catch up all my young Gouldians in January, pick the best and sell the remainder
These four I will have to hold till Jan 2019 before I can determine if they are worth keeping as part of my breeding flock.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 07:01 I don't know if there is a show season as such here. I don't show birds. I think the clubs mostly just try to put them on when they don't clash with other shows. There is only one "Gouldian show" that I know of in Australia but it isn't just a show for Gouldians - just that its held in January when Gouldians are in prime condition after the moult. (QFS one). I don't know of many other shows at that time of year.
Arh right ok Tiaris, it's just interesting to know if many of you show yer birds throughout Aussie, am I right in saying that many of you would be just more interested in the keeping and breeding of the birds rather than actually exhibit them aswell,

I get the impression that big sale days of birds would be more beneficial to you all :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

BrettB wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 09:17
why is December important to you
Hi Stuart
In Australia all the Gouldian's complete their moult in December, irrespective of when they fledged.
Birds fledged late in the year, like these ones, will not complete the moult till Dec 2018 when they will be 15 months old.

I usually catch up all my young Gouldians in January, pick the best and sell the remainder
These four I will have to hold till Jan 2019 before I can determine if they are worth keeping as part of my breeding flock.

Cheers
Brett
Arh yes I can see exactly where yer coming from Brett, we have the same problem in that respect over here ( uk ) with late bred birds, it doesn't really effect to much for next years breeding but only in the sence that some birds follow a hereditary type of thing and sometimes wanna breed late themselves,
The late bred birds here tend to obviously moult out late well into autumn and the birds would then miss a lot if the major shows, this basically means that they now can't be exhibited as unflighted current year bred birds and would now have to wait until next year where they can now only be exhibited as flighted birds :)
Tiaris

Most finch breeders here don't show. Doesn't necessarily mean that we all don't regard the quality of the bird as not important though.
Tiaris

For me, late bred Gouldians are a selection problem in that they can only be held over until the following year for a proper examination as a "possibles/probables" proposition based entirely on body size & type since plumage features cannot be properly assessed until after a complete moult.

Return to “The Lounge”