Strange or not??

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Jenk

Hi All,
So I've been anxiously waiting for my Orange breasts young to leave the nest for the passed several weeks, everyday I watched mum and dad enter and exit the nest swapping shifts and everyday I listen out for the young and can hear them begging for food as mum or dad enters the nest to feed them. Oh by the way I have 2 pairs of Orange breasts and a Pair of Double bars in my aviary... so I came home today and noticed commotion on the floor of the aviary and thought great the young must have fledged and sure enough they have so now I'm the proud owner of Ha! Double Bars! (scratching my head right now) what the?

So obviously somewhere along the way the Double barred hen has laid eggs in the nest only to have it taken over by a pair of young Orange Breasts who have now adopted the young Double bars... has anyone seen this before? I never thought I would get DB chics because the DB hen was always a nervous bird and never looked relaxed or like she would breed but she obviously did, maybe she willingly left the nest rather than got kicked out... any ideas anyone?
Jenk
starman

It does seem a little strange Jenk, but a success is a success.
I have a pair of OBs who wintered with a pair of RFPFs....the OBs had three successive nests with clear eggs, and then tried to evict the RFPFs from their nest, but the RFPFs showed them the door every time. The OBs eventually gave up and have now gone back to their second nest site. I'm not suggesting they that would have incubated the RFPF eggs...but I think as you have shown...anything is possible. Perhaps my lot know they are infertile and are trying to give surrogacy a try :)
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
matcho

Nothing amazes me anymore. Have had Stars raise Goulds and Goulds raise Stars and recently had Painteds feeding Gould chicks in tandem with the natural parents. Go figure! I say take 'em whichever way they come!

Ken.

Return to “The Lounge”