Keeping records

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
garyh

I didnt keep records of my bird breeding until i meet Les Harding who sold me some blue gouldians,so started noting every bird bred and every purchase,now it seems silly but most people dont care what parents the birds they are buying comes from,but i now have to trace back a number of years to find out where a particular bird came from ie parents ,year bred,luckily it was all there in the books of each year,wondering how many breeders out there do the same thing,is it common or something that others dont worry about,cheers garyh
Greg41

I use the Avi Manage System by Shane Gowland, it covers all areas and is easy to manage.
Cheers.
GDG
Flight Feathers

I'd like to start recording breeding etc. I've recorded a little like which parents and how many babie etc.
Tiaris

I don't keep records but am still very particular about the origins, bloodlines & genotypes of all of my birds in order to assure myself of unrelated pairings, future mating options and combination of the right genotypes or physical attributes to achieve the desired breeding outcomes. I rely on my own familiarity with my birds and memory for this but it greatly helps me to do this by having 10 holding aviaries in which I can keep progeny from each breeding aviary separate until they fully mature prior to pairing up.
Halfinch

Wow Tiaris 10 holding aviaries, that's impressive. I don't have any holding aviaries only 1 active one. I think it's important to keep a track of things. Since I'm just starting with Gouldians I've just entered the information on a word document.
Halfinch.
xripcurrent

Can I hitchhike onto this topic and ask a related question?

When you keep your records what type of data do you record?

Thanks in Advance,
24 Gouldian Finches
10 Blue
8 Yellow Split to Blue
2 Green Normal
1 Blue Silver Pastel
1 Green Pastel
1 Yellow Normal
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have an exercise book. I write down where/who I got birds from and when. Where/who I sell birds to and when. When I breed young, and parents/siblings of young and rings. No it isnt as good as it sound because sometimes it is just - bred in avaiy 1 Feb 2018 - bred in avairy 2 Jan 18
Depends on what is in which avairy and how secretive they have been how accurate. But at least I have a reasonable idea. Not no idea at all. Sometimes bird a and bird b are definately the parents. Sometime it is pair x and pair y fledged round the same time so it is one of those 2 pair.
LML
LML
starman

IMO, accurate record keeping is of doubtful value unless breeding single pairs in isolation. In the aviary, promiscuity can take your breeding goals off on an unplanned tangent, relegating records to fiction.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But at least basic record keeping does let you be able to say honestly. The ones with the blue rings are 6 months old and the ones with the orange rings are 18 months old. Which is a good reason for doing it.
LML
LML
garyh

In my case i breed two pair per aviary,i ring every bird with an aluminium numbered leg ring,once properly fledged i put into a large holding aviary,i breed a large number of blue gouldians each year ,so makes pairing up the following season a lot easier, and selling true pairs a must,also what birds bred well ,which ones bred the desired colour that i wanted,and the list goes on,cheers garyh

Return to “The Lounge”