Stars

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
branchez

Picked up 2 pair of Yellow Bodied stars and 2 pair of Cinnamon split to Fawn Stars at Gunnedah on Saturday.
Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
starman

Nice looking Stars, Jack..... it appears that you don't mind a bit of a road trip ?
Are they siblings (leg rings) ?
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

Very nice Jack, so do you pr yellow body to cinnamon/fawn or yellow body to yellow body ?? Craig
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty, and good looking too. Good luck with them. :thumbup:
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best of luck with them.
arthur

Craig52 wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 09:11 do you pr yellow body to cinnamon/fawn or yellow body to yellow body ?? Craig
I am not sure where this mutation is 'at' currently

It has been around for quite some time, but that does not necessarily mean that Y.B x Y.B is the best way to go

Tiaris would be up to speed with that . .

I have always had a soft spot for this Star mutation, as I think it is very striking

Though I may have asked before; no harm in asking again . .

Has anybody produced, or is anybody working on, the 'Yellowheaded-Yellowbodied Star' ?. .

Would be a bit more involved because of the added variable, if starting from scratch

But with the RH-YB already in existence quite a few 'steps' can be eliminated

This mutation may not be as striking in appearance as the RH-YB . . BUT . . the 'yellowhead gene' may well have an unexpected influence on the body colour . .

The joys of mutation breeders . .
Tiaris

YB to YB is not the best mating option IMO.
Using the cinnamons, fawns & combos as regular outcrosses gives best results in quantity & quality. The best outcross is a YB cock to a really outstanding fawn hen. This pairing will produce all YB hens & all fawn split cin cocks. These 2 genotypes paired together have (in the past) been my best pairings for producing quality YB progeny in both sexes.
Arthur, I have just started off on the way to breeding yellow-bodied yellow stars. I'm starting pretty well from scratch and will be doing it the patient way with regular use of quality yellow fawns back with the YB stock to ensure decent quality specimens when I do eventually breed YB yellows in both sexes. I also know a few others going down the same path now too and they are further into their program with them than I am so they are likely to get to establishment point before me, but I'll plod along the slow way and back the quality of mine against any out there when that time comes. I reckon it will be slightly more difficult with the extra recessive mutation in the mix but that just highlights (to me at least) the more pressing need to make very regular outcrosses to only top quality yellow fawns if there is to be any chance of ending up with really nice YB yellows a few years on. Time will tell.
arthur

Tiaris wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 16:43 . I'm starting pretty well from scratch and will be doing it the patient way with regular use of quality yellow fawns back with the YB stock to ensure decent quality specimens when I do eventually breed YB yellows in both sexes. I also know a few others going down the same path now too and they are further into their program with them than I am so they are likely to get to establishment point before me
Good . .

Hope I'm around when the YH-YB arrives

While others may currently be further down the track, when you are dealing in percentages 'Lady Luck' can weave her magic in both positive and negative directions

The only certainty is that, sooner or later, it WILL happen

:thumbup:
Tiaris

They are already about Arthur, but they are mostly just popping up as a by-product of people breeding RH ones rather than being specifically aimed for.
arthur

Well that was one wish that 'came true'

http://spectrumaquarium.blogspot.com.au ... odied.html

Thanks for that info . . :oops:

Checked for images with Prof. Google . . obviously above pic from O-S

They too are striking birds :thumbup:

Return to “The Lounge”