Winter.

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hopefully winter rain will arrive sometime this month. What we have seen in April is not worth calling rain it was too little. Bit cooler, down to 13 overnight a couple of times and low 20s during the day, and of course its getting dark earlier. More honeyeaters and Red tail blacks being seen but thats because the rains haven't arrived so sign of not winter yet. I had a flock of RTB's go over on the weekend and they visited my mums place earlier today.
They love the berries on the Cape Lilacs.
LML
LML
matcho

C&B,

Yep, this years local Grey Butcherbird young turned up as per usual for a couple of weeks then gone, Noisy Miners are not as aggressive as the weather cools, not having to mow the lawn every week, not as many bees and the ants are slowing down. orb weaver webs in the morning I don't miss! The list goes on, nice call! Things you just take for granted now have meaning. Now just waiting for the winter grass to start.

Ken.
starman

Ian Hamilton wrote: 03 May 2018, 18:21 My wife says I spoil them more than her ! :roll:
Ian,
I think that's called the finch breeders' wife's lament.

One significant change here is the lack of mosquito clouds around the aviaries..... still the odd one or two, though.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
wagga

When the grey nomads are seen, new 4x4 with new caravan attached, driving up the coast towards their winter camping grounds. If you miss seeing them driving on the highway look for their tell tale signs that the annual migration has started. Caravans and motor homes camping in every camp ground, truck stop or other spare allotments on the roadside going north. Strangely they are seen in small flocks and appear motionless until 9am and are looking for their next roosting site for the night by 4pm.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Tiaris

Currawongs seem to turn up in numbers everywhere in winter. They must hide pretty well over Summer. Local bird wise here: the male fairy-wrens (3 species) have lost their breeding colours, redbrows starting to form flocks, topknot pigeon flocks are prevalent, plus we get our share of Currawongs turn up. Whisky grass heads in the paddocks turn bronze. Citrus fruits start to change colour on the trees.
mr skeeter

Hey wagga sounds pretty good to me hooking up the van and taking of, sure sign of winter is the gang gang cockies coming to feed on a variety of nuts on selected trees during winter. cheers mick, PS hope my son will look after my birds when we go away
davlee

I know a farmer On Eyre Peninsula in S.A. who maintains that kangaroos on his property all face the same direction while feeding when winter rains are imminent.

Dave

Return to “The Lounge”