Winter.

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
collector_and_buyer

Sitting outside yesterday afternoon,i saw my first pied currawong,winter is upon us.The sight of the currawongs in the South West of NSW-Young means a real change in weather is on its way,meaning colder.I have also hung up the clear bistro blinds and put them down last night due to the cold wind blowing into the aviary.These are a life saver here with -5 degree mornings not uncommon and really cold winds of a night.What are the tell tale signs of winter on its way in other regions that you have noticed?,it would be interesting to know.
Rod_L

when I was living on the street I went to bed earlier in winter because the sun set earlier. But there is a definite chill in the air at night now and moisture on the grass as well. Plus I don't need sunglasses in the afternoon now, whereas in summer I can't go outside without them. This is from Perth and the southwest of WA.
death to all cats & ants
D0NKEY

Getting up in the morning to whipe frost off windscreen is my tell. This just started this week in SW Sydney.
CathyCraftz

It definitely is quite cold in the mornings now, and my finches are puffed up because of the cold. It gets hotter in the afternoons though.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
starman

Still very agreeable finch weather here on the coast. The only difference is that I have to do the evening water change around 4:30pm as its pretty well dark by 5:45.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Ian Hamilton

I agree with you SM, but I'm tippy toeing past the aviary at 4:50ish "AM" & its definitely getting cooler. A clear sky, & full moon, its a beautiful time of day. Noticing the nip in the air I saw it was 12 deg in the shed this morning.

I set up the heat lamp on the timer last weekend, suspended in the aviary hanging around 45cm above the floor, set on a timer it comes on at 5:15ish am & turns off at 9am. Its definitely helpful.

The clear plastic bistro curtain will go up either this weekend or next.

My wife says I spoil them more than her ! :roll:
Tiaris

Still around mid 20s by day here & 15 - 16 at night which is a very late start to the colder stuff. Only thing to go by at the moment are the shorter days but I reckon next cold front from the south could initiate it all to happen.
matcho

I agree Ian,

I think in the next week or so the perspex covers will go up overnight just to take the slight chill out of it as I have a few chicks in the boxes and
some starting to fledge.

Ken.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Haven't done anything and probably won't at this stage...temps still warm up here....how I know its getting colder.....heaps of southern caravans making their way up highways 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
collector_and_buyer

Interesting comments,but has anything nature wise alerted you or is there anything that naturally occurs each year that says "hear comes winter" that you can identify with.As i have said,here,it is the arrival of the pied currawongs that signal winter is on its way-quickly.

Return to “The Lounge”