java sparrow compatibility

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Norse

Hi all, anyone had experience with javas, looking for recommendations on compatibility, I have a pr in a cage 1.8 long, 1 wide and 2.1 high, any suggestions what could go in with them ?
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
matcho

I had them years ago (45 or so) and only kept them by themselves. They bred like zebs, anything less than five a time was unusual. They have a reputation of being bossy and aggressive but I really can't give you any advice.

Haven't seen many over the years except at sales and there have been a few posts on this site in regards to them. Today I attended my seed/bird dealer and he had some beautiful looking birds, a couple of pairs of greys (with no white under the chin) some pure whites and a pair of stunning looking fawns. Made comment about them and I would like a pair but he knows what I have (Goulds, stars and painteds) and strongly advised against a purchase. I took his advice.

No doubt you will get the proper advice here, good luck.

Ken
starman

I have never kept Javas but I think they would be OK with Zebras, Bengalese, Pterodactyls and similar, but not with the smaller finches and waxbills. It is not that they are over-aggressive but their physical size and general pushiness can intimidate smaller, more timid birds.
They are a handsome bird, usually with immaculate plumage and some very nice mutation colours (as Ken has mentioned above). Possibly their size and compatibility issues dissuade a lot of breeders from keeping them.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
arthur

My experience closely mirrors that of Matcho

But from what I can remember, they were not as pushy as Blackthroats, nor as interfering as Cut-throats . .

And I would suggest either or both those two species as room mates, depending on available space

Javas were looked down on by the 'why would you keep those' brigade, and may well suffer because of the 'give a dog a bad name' attitude

I have never been into showing, though I am not anti . .

But if things were fair dinkum Javas would win "Champion Bird of the Show" every time . .

And they almost never do :o

If the mix doesn't work out, you can go back to your current arrangement
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have kept them with Zebs mostly. But also with Canaries, Gouldians and a few smaller finches. They are no more agressive than any of the birds I have kept them with, but their size when saying "my patch" politely, can intimidate. So stick to the 3 I have named they handled things while the smaller birds got nervous.
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most are okay. ..in saying that you get some that will pull young from other nests to line their nest with dead young....smell probably to keep predators away. .😕
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Norse

Thanks for the replies, the pair I have where in with my gouldians for a while,not to pushy, ill have a think and decide what to put with them.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

arthur wrote: 09 May 2018, 20:42

But from what I can remember, they were not as pushy as Blackthroats, nor as interfering as Cut-throats . .

And I would suggest either or both those two species as room mates, depending on available space

Javas were looked down on by the 'why would you keep those' brigade, and may well suffer because of the 'give a dog a bad name' attitude

I have never been into showing, though I am not anti . .

But if things were fair dinkum Javas would win "Champion Bird of the Show" every time . .

And they almost never do :o

If the mix doesn't work out, you can go back to your current arrangement
Have to agree with above..and totally agree about shows. .Javas never have a feather out of place and out shine most imo for stance and sharpness...very underated bird imo 😉
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Norse

they do rarely have a feather out of place i agree
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Such a hansome bird. Reminds me of why I keep going back to them.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”