Members responding to abandoned threads.

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
starman

It is easy to lose the time frame of some threads.

When you read back through the “archival” threads on the AFF, it's not always immediately apparent that the thread is not current. The obvious solution is to check the date stamp of the post, but for some subjects an already open thread can be added to, and remains significantly helpful for a long time. 'Timeless' subjects that can benefit from this include general husbandry, food and diet, diseases and medication, nesting types and materials, bird characteristics and behaviours, aviary design and construction and any other subjects that remain current and reasonably accurate for a definite period.
The core purpose of the forum, or its “reason to be” is to aid and educate members (and visitors) in the care and welfare of their precious little birds, and this, with the help and expertise of some very experienced and talented finch keepers, the AFF does very, very well.
However, for posts on health problems of an individual bird, or birds, the time frame or currency of the post may be quite short, as this is usually outcome dependent.
A typical post starts with a question or request, moves on to suggestions for a solution from the members, and then there is, quite often, no follow-up, end result or final response from the original poster. This leaves respondents and subsequent readers “in the dark” as to whether the suggested remedies helped or did not. A very significant part of the educational process for readers and respondents alike, is knowing the end result. I often read an old thread and am left pondering 'I wonder what happened there?'
I realise that some people may be reluctant to post bad news, worrying that it may reflect poorly on their husbandry skills, but regardless, I think that posters should be encouraged to follow up with a post on the outcome to give some sort of closure (if not satisfaction) to those who have offered advice, and just as importantly, for the education of subsequent readers who may be experiencing the same or similar problems. This simple step could add even more value to an already exceptional source of avicultural education.

…..(sm dismounts soapbox).
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Excellent post SM. :thumbup:
And all very true.
LML
LML
Ian Hamilton

I agree entirely SM, in fact the outcome is the learning - and we can all benefit from that !

Very well written by the way :thumbup:
matcho

Well written and to the point. :thumbup: Thankfully you posted this as I have one in "drafts" but decided against posting it. I think I might have been sent to the "sin bin" if I had. :silent: I don't tend to mince words very well.

Ken.
starman

I'm happy to have prevented a fellow player from a 'binning', Ken. :thumbup:
Mincing is my forte.
Sm.
elferoz777

Thank christ. Now i hopefully wont see these old posts and get excited thinking I can buy Aberdeens again only to realise someone has revived a 5 yr old post.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
arthur

" 'Timeless' subjects that can benefit from this include general husbandry, food and diet, diseases and medication, nesting types and materials, bird characteristics and behaviours, aviary design and construction and any other subjects that remain current and reasonably accurate for a definite period." . . (S-M)

Exactly . . and this is why new members should use the search function more often

That would give them a guaranteed and quick answer . . and save the many well-meaning members from answering what could be termed FAQ's

Not that those members mind BTW . .
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What everyone is saying is so. Particularly the use the search engine, but don't be afraid to ask. Members are always willing to help, and fresh knowledge is always happening as people learn more and better ways of doing things. Though the tried and true are also frequently the way to go. Isn't that so with most things in life, a mix.
LML
LML
Norse

Annoying it is I agree but not quite as annoying as the bad info or re hashing what the previous posters stated
projects atm Normal and AY Gouldians, Red zebs and java's
starman

New members and visitors to the forum have little, or no idea how to 'weight' the advice and opinions in different contributions as they have no knowledge of the experience of the respondents. In this case, some may take a consensus on the number of similar views and think that this reflects the correct solution. This is the real danger in 'parroting' previously posted views. Longer serving members make no such mistakes as they have the benefit of assessing the value of the advice offered to them and, as such, can more accurately make a decision based on that history....that is, they can make more astute judgements.
The basis of a forum is to provide a platform where everyone can have their say, and this one adheres to those values with very restrained and sensitive moderation.... but as members we should be mindful that any disinformation harms the credibility of the forum and its members collectively.
Last edited by starman on 03 Jun 2018, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
Sm.

Return to “The Lounge”