One wing

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Storz

I have a mate that has bred a one winged Gouldian. It was from a clutch of one from normal gouldians a black and yellow head not related. It is fully feathered having fledged over a month ago. It feeds and drinks itself and at night sleeps in a hollow log on the ground or climbs onto a perch. Tries to fly away when entering aviary, appears to think it is normal. There is no stump or any piece protruding from where the wing should be in fact a well shaped healthy bird just missing a wing. I have seen deformed birds before but not like this, my question is has anyone else seen this before and if there are any explanations for this
matcho

I could hazard a guess and say that something happened in the nest, perhaps a piece of nesting material wrapped around the wing or maybe a mouse or something took off the wing when very young? The reason I say this is because my sister bred an Eclectus parrot 30 odd years ago (Ernie) who's mother chewed off one wing in the nest. He is still going strong and a good bird to boot. I had a cock gould a couple of years ago for some unknown reason went through a moult but neglected to grow flight feathers. He got through okay and even fathered a few chicks. Next moult, all good, go figure! Otherwise I have no freakin' idea but I can be pretty sure in saying he wont grow a new wing! Good luck with it. Would probably make a good conversation piece for an indoor pet.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Possibly a developmental fault in the egg? While the parents are not related, they could both be carrying a weakness. People make the mistake of thinking relatedness causes all genetic faults, while it is faulty genes that cause faults. Related or unrelated if faulty genes are carried in both parents they will result in a faulty chick. Related birds with good genes will result in better chicks than unrelated birds with faulty genes.
Lecture over.
Seperate the parents. Let the bird live out his life as we would a child with a deformity.
LML
LML
matcho

Well thought out reply by Finchbreeder. Probably more on the mark than my waffle. We see it so often in the human species where both parents carry some genetic flaw that raises it's ugly head to the detriment of their children. What interests me is was it from a one chick nest and if not how were the others? Interesting situation.
Storz

It was the pairs second clutch for the season. The 1st being 5 all healthy and the second only 1 egg, the pair have been together for 3 seasons and have had no other problems.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So if it is genetic it is low risk recessive as well. If they have done well in the past this would warrant taking the risk on leaving them together then - in my opinion.
LML
LML
CathyCraftz

Probably some genetic problem. If it was an injury the finch would have died a long time ago due to blood loss and/or infections. Even if the rest of its siblings are fine, they still might be carrying that genetic flaw. Don't let any of them breed but you can get them companions of the same sex. The finch with the lost wing probably can't mate even if it wanted to, if it is a male it's going to have trouble mounting the female, if it is a female it probably can't balance with just one wing.
Have a nice day!
Sincerely, Cathy
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – Albus Dumbledore
matcho

CathyCraftz wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:50 Probably some genetic problem. If it was an injury the finch would have died a long time ago due to blood loss and/or infections. Even if the rest of its siblings are fine, they still might be carrying that genetic flaw. Don't let any of them breed but you can get them companions of the same sex. The finch with the lost wing probably can't mate even if it wanted to, if it is a male it's going to have trouble mounting the female, if it is a female it probably can't balance with just one wing.
Interesting views Cathy. :crazy:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Chatting to "she who knows much" My mother who has been breeding birds for the past 60yrs now. And she said "of course it could just be that the birds are getting on so the genetic material is deteriourating". (spelling) Now why didn't I think of that? Mature parents produce the odd genetic flaw for no reason but that they are older parents. It means there is nothing wrong with them or their other young and no reason to panic. Of course only the owner knows if this might be the case due to the age of the birds. A hen with one wing would have only one problem, getting up into a nest, any enthusiastic cock will come down to her.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”