Strong winds

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
collector_and_buyer

The other night we had terrible winds,didn't realise how bad until the next morning.Just as well the aviary is well built and strong.Really minimal damage,but it posed a real problem as to how to get the tree off the aviary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

Maybe a strong rope around the head of the tree tied back to a vehicle/tractor in the paddock behind the aviary. Pulled away as someone else cuts the trunk off with a chainsaw just above the aviary. Won't be easy. Good luck.
Tiaris

Just realised its already off.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're lucky the aviary is so well built that no finches were able to escape. Having hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars worth of finches fly off into the ether is the stuff of nightmares.
collector_and_buyer

Very lucky,it could not of landed on a better place.
arthur

arthur wrote: 21 Dec 2012, 17:11 Gee mate, love the aviaries and the workmanship

I'm a bit paranoid about this, after a bad experience, but those 'widow-maker' gum trees next door and above, could be a big hazard in a wild storm, if you get any in your neck of the woods
This was posted many years ago . . regarding another member's aviaries

With new computers etc I can't find pics (that I have previously posted) of my bad experience . .

But it basically put me 'out of business' as regards finches and softbills . . and took a huge chunk out of my life

Pleased to see that you have escaped relatively unscathed

A warning for others . .
Last edited by arthur on 04 Sep 2018, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
collector_and_buyer

Absolutely.The chain on the saw is getting sharpened again and the remaining gums are coming down.Really is a shame though,as they provided excellent shade at midday and early afternoon in summer.I will replace them with something else less likely to want to blow over.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have a huge cape lilac over my avairys. Yes I worry when the storm season somes round. But between hubby and I it gets regular "control" prunings and while it has also "leant" on the avairys from time to time no escape causing damage has occured. So planting wisely is still good.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”