Hot weather.

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
collector_and_buyer

40 degrees here at Young NSW today and the birds were feeling it. Hen Siskins were sitting above the nest and not on it,young Tri coloured Nuns in a nest not too far from the ceiling were a concern.Others in nests a bit lower should fair better,but probably were still uncomfortable.Hosing the aviary down helped and the tiny Nuns were being fed late this arvo,so they have survived.More hot weather to come,hope everybodies birds survive.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So far so good here in Adelaide. Today was the hottest day expected (41) and the birds handled it well. Just one more day of severe heat tomorrow (38) and then it will slide back down to the high 20s.

The birds are enjoying their occasional blast with the garden hose.
Alf63

43 here in north central vic yesterday. Expecting 41 today. Only one day forecast in the next week to be below 35c. Will be interesting to see how the birds manage the extended heat. So far so good.

Alf63
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was in the low 40's before Christmas, but has been unusually cool here on the west coast since.
LML
LML
HowieD

We've had two days at 41 then three at 38 plus but cooler today here in western Sydney only got to 36 Siskin eggs due to hatch first round of 4 survived and weaned only 1 of four cordons and the gouldians are almost ready to go . Ps Happy new year everyone 👍
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like we're going to have another string of scorching hot weather in SA and VIC. Hope everyone's birds pull through okay.
collector_and_buyer

I must be hiding under a rock because i never knew of a misting system,but i do now thanks to this forum.Built my own this morning for $25 and installed it today just after lunch.The birds absolutely love it and has made it much more comfortable for them.Not so worried about this hot weather that is upon us now.Great tips and advice to be had here.
nicko

collector_and_buyer wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 16:09 I must be hiding under a rock because i never knew of a misting system,but i do now thanks to this forum.Built my own this morning for $25 and installed it today just after lunch.The birds absolutely love it and has made it much more comfortable for them.Not so worried about this hot weather that is upon us now.Great tips and advice to be had here.
They're a great idea - I've had mine for 3rd summer & the birds love it - last 2 day's in Perth have been 38-40 & they spend a lot of time sitting in & flying through the mist
deegs

We here in Adelaide have had 4 days over 40 last week and another few days coming up around that mark this coming week. After last weeks heat I went into my aviaries to expect a few nests of dead RFPF young only to find all babies had survived to my surprise. I even have a hen Scarlet hatching eggs, I'd expected they'd all be poached by now. I am never ceased to be amazed at how truly hardy out little feathered friends are. Let's hope we can all get through the rest of the summer unscathed and that this dreadful drought breaks soon, particularly for all of our country people.
Cheers, Deegs.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

43 and 41 respectively yesterday and today. Birds all coped well with just an extra run of the retic that floods their water bowls as I came and went to work, though the quail seem a bit moody toward each other. Mum says her canaries were even sunbathing. (brain dead idiots)
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”