Help with gouldian mutation id

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Darkangel1977

Hey guys, after my gouldians have finished their moult I am now looking to sell some of my youngsters. I will be keeping one of the hens and breeding that to a new cock bird I will be purchasing. Unfortunetly I will be saying goodbye to my breeding pair that consists of 1 x red head white chested euro yellow cock and 1 x black headed purple chested blue hen. These young are the result of last years nest. I'm hoping the masters of gouldians on here could tell me a description of each one. I will number them for ease of identification. At this stage I'm planning to keep the (what I would call) single factor yellow white chested yellow headed hen no.1. If I bred this bird to a blue cock bird what do you think my chances are of many blue offspring??? I presume all of these young will be split to blue. Thankyou for your help!!

Also sorry for the slightly darker photos, it was quite overcast that day and I tried me best, the colors look much better in person. Thanks all!
20190109_201148.jpg

20190109_201203.jpg
20190109_201218.jpg
20190109_201239.jpg
20190109_201255.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover
Darkangel1977

If anyone is interested to see the parents this is a link to their video from last year, sorry have a new phone and dont have photos of them on this one

https://youtu.be/tcmGVXldUBY
Craig52

Yes they are all SF Euro yellows and if one parent was blue they are all split for blue.

A blue bird not being WB to that hen will give you pastel blue cocks, blue cocks, SF yellow cocks split to blue, possible SF hens, possible green back hen split blue and all will be split for WB.
There is a guide for percentages from different mutation matings but i just can't find it so someone might chime in with it shortly. Craig
Darkangel1977

Thanks Craig. Yes I do have a calculator thing I used... problem was I dont think it was 100% accurate, pretty close though. I think a professional like your self is more accurate. Thanks for the help, so when I sell these young in the coming months I just call them all single factor euro yellow split to blue??? I guess the chest color they inherit has alot to do with what body color they learned towards..... as well as being cocks or hens. Though I think I will be keeping the no.1 hen to breed with, the no.2 cock bird is stunning, wish I had more aviary space to breed with him also
Last edited by Darkangel1977 on 10 Jan 2019, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Craig52

Yes mate, :thumbup: Craig
Stu

Agree with Craig and add,

The hen being black head means all young cocks are split black head.
White breast young means hen is split white breast therefore all young will be split white breast.

If the hen is red tip beak, parents are spit yellow head. The red head young may be split yellow head.
If hen is YTB all red head young will be split yellow head.

Cock - R/y W DF
Hen - B/y P/w B (or YTB)

1. Y W Y/b hen
2. R/b W SF/b cock or R/b/y W SF/b
3. R P/w Y/b hens
4. R/b P/w SF/b cock or R/b/y P/w SF/b
5. Y/b P/w SF/b cock
Darkangel1977

Wow , thanks for the detail! 👍

Return to “The Lounge”