Sunbird Update

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
arthur

Update on 'my' Sunbirds . .

They nested and young disappeared (Nov/ Dec)

I usually pull the old nest down to let them start all over, but hadn't got round to it, when they started to show a new interest; eventually laying a fresh clutch without any renovation at all

Young hatched, and everything seemed to be going to plan . .

You may have noticed that we've had a little bit of rain up here. With the wet nest, and the breeze, yesterday morning I found the nesting chamber with two chicks on the patio floor, and a very agitated hen Sunny flitting here and there

Only thing that came to mind was to use a cable tie to reunite the chamber with the stem of the nest

Thought that she would certainly desert after all the disruption . . But she checked out my handiwork; and as of now she is still feeding the kids

She is certainly a devoted parent, as with the weather nectar bearing flowers are few and far between
latest sunbird.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storz

Love the zip tie what a great idea, I have done that (minus zip tie) with the rufous whistlers here a couple of times the nest have ended up on the ground with young put the nest and young back up in the tree in a better spot and they have fledged will be interesting to see if the same thing happens with you sunbird. Keep us posted. With regard to the rain send us a bit we have had only 2ml in the last two months
Tiaris

The nest slightly resembles our local Yellow-throated Scrubwrens' nests which trail down over creeks looking like a tangle of old flood debris snagged on the end of a branch.

Do you feed the Sunbirds at all Arthur, or are they naturally confiding around peoples' homes, etc.?
arthur

We don't feed them as such, but do have quite a few flowering shrubs and flowering garden plants that they avail themselves of

Have thought of nectar feeders for them but another one of those things that I haven't got around to . . would be handy for them at times like this when extended rain periods make nectar a bit light on . . but with a number of honeyeater species also living here the Sunnies might run second

They are naturally confiding, and common nesting sites are patios, verandahs, sheds, outbuildings . . that nest is less than two foot from our main entry door, and the hen never flushes at night, and very seldom during daylight, after a few days of incubation

We too, have a resident pair of Rufous Whistlers which breed every year . . but I have never found a nest
Storz

arthur wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 17:06 We don't feed them as such, but do have quite a few flowering shrubs and flowering garden plants that they avail themselves of

Have thought of nectar feeders for them but another one of those things that I haven't got around to . . would be handy for them at times like this when extended rain periods make nectar a bit light on . . but with a number of honeyeater species also living here the Sunnies might run second

They are naturally confiding, and common nesting sites are patios, verandahs, sheds, outbuildings . . that nest is less than two foot from our main entry door, and the hen never flushes at night, and very seldom during daylight, after a few days of incubation

We too, have a resident pair of Rufous Whistlers which breed every year . . but I have never found a nest

Now you know what to look for
IMG_6631.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad to hear your Sunnies are sticking it out Arthur. And hope the rain settles down a little.
LML
LML
arthur

Thanks FB . .

Worst of it is further up
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Daughter is in Brissie and she says the same thing.
LML
LML
arthur

R.I.P. Sunbirds . .

Mum feeding up to sundown last night . . This morning no activity . . Inspected the nest at about 10 am and as suspected, empty

Since the rain, we've found 4 little carpet snakes +/- 300mm around the place . . one was in the act of swallowing a large gecko

Carpet snakes, especially small ones can scale (pardon the pun) brick/ block walls by using the joints . .

So I am laying the blame in that direction :evil:

It's a tough life, if you are a Sunbird in this 'neck of the woods'
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh !@#$ Really disapointed to hear that. But I guess they all got to eat and live. I'm just a little in favour of birds over scally critters. Though I supplement the diet of a young blue tounge in my yard with offerings of soft fruit.
LML
LML

Return to “The Lounge”