Proposed changes in the ACT

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Nye

The ACT government is looking to add 380 animals to the capital's official list of pests. Unfortunately the goldfinch is on the list in Table 5
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -expanded/
Rod_L

They are missing a species, Homo sapiens sub species "politicianous"

Coyotes, American black bears, bobcats and spider monkeys are apparently on the list, wtf, they don't even occur in Australia.
Or does the government plan on preventing zoos from keeping these animals?

If the government puts bobcats on the list, they can bloody well put domestic cats on the list too. They do way more damage than any bobcats that allegedly live in this country.
death to all cats & ants
Nye

My guess that its being pushed by animal rights , they have included some birds like orange winged pytilias .If this gets through ,it will only be the start as they can include more species to the list as time goes by. The other worry is that other states may follow.
Tiaris

Orange-winged Pytilias are a different species to Yellow-winged Pytilias. As far as I know, Orange-winged have not been in Australia.
mr skeeter

Geez i hope thats right graham that it is not the yellow wing pytillia, there is not to many goldfinches down here anyway due to trapping i would imagine NSW would be the same ???
Tiaris

Yes Mick. Orange-winged is Pytilia afra & Yellow-winged, Pytilia hypogramica.
mr skeeter

great news pal
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like parrot enthusiasts could be hit hard by this. Alexandrines, Ringnecks, Quakers, and many others are listed in the proposal.
arthur

Dunno what the situation is in ACT . . and probably off topic

But up this way the 'ice epidemic' is a huge problem . . 2 or 3 cars a week are stolen and many are torched . . Break-and-enters and home invasions are no longer newsworthy . .

But . .

Let's get our priorities right, and sort out these bloody Bird-Breeders . . before they bugg*r the country
Rod_L

arthur wrote: 27 May 2019, 20:19 Dunno what the situation is in ACT . . and probably off topic

But up this way the 'ice epidemic' is a huge problem . . 2 or 3 cars a week are stolen and many are torched . . Break-and-enters and home invasions are no longer newsworthy . .

But . .
Let's get our priorities right, and sort out these bloody Bird-Breeders . . before they bugg*r the country
LOL :)

yeah lets piss off the people that saved the Gouldian finch, Hooded parrot and various other native birds, which the government and graziers caused the decline of.

It's stupid politics and duckheads that have no idea. There's a situation with aquarium fish in this country. If I catch a fish in the Northern Territory, I cannot bring it into Western Australia because it might introduce diseases into WA. The problem with this is there are rivers that cross the border and the fish can swim into WA. But I risk criminal charges if I take a fish from the wrong side of the border.

Then there is the issue of domestic cats in this country. There are no cat curfews in WA and cats are put out every night to do their thing. Yet dogs have to be registered, sterilised, microchipped and kept on their property at all times. Like seriously, cats do heaps of damage and nobody in government wants to control them.

I can't keep native animals, yet most of them are endangered because of people. If we could keep them as pets, they might become extinct in the wild but we would have domestic stocks.

Just a bunch of idiots in power who like making rules because they have nothing better to do.
death to all cats & ants

Return to “The Lounge”