The Indian Mynah and cultural relatvism tangent thread

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
E Orix

I do not think the interest in Softbills will dwindle in fact a think the opposite
Currently the interest in Aust. Softbills is very big indeed.
Demand far out weighs supply, different states have different lists of species
that can be kept in captivity.
The interest is most likely their beauty but the challenge of breeding them is the major reason
that so many are now being kept.
Gone are the days that diet was a problem, today virtually everything required is easily available.
Brisbane_Finches_333

Well, with the amount of young birdkeepers these days...
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
arthur

E Orix wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 13:03 I do not think the interest in Softbills will dwindle in fact a think the opposite
/quote]

Have to agree . .

And as availability of exotic softbills declines the Aussies will come into their own

Why would you pay an exorbitant price for a pair of Pekin Robins/ Magpie Robins (with increasingly limited gene pools), when you can pick up most of our beautiful native softbills for less than 10% of the cost of these exotics . . special as they may be

And . . just as an 'add-on' Queenslanders will soon(?????) be able to legally enjoy most native softbills and join our 'fellow-Australians' just 50 years after aviary regulation was initiated in the Land of the Sugarbush

Airline pilot to passengers during daylight-saving period: "We are now entering Queensland; put your watches back one hour . . and your calendars back 50 years!" :silent:

And . . apropos of nothing at all really . . I was highly amused by the 'bureaucracy-speak' earlier on this thread which informs us that an 'egg' becomes defined as an 'animal' at that point half-way through its incubation period . . "Spare Me Days" :crazy:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Airline pilot to passengers during daylight-saving period: "We are now entering Queensland; put your watches back one hour . . and your calendars back 50 years!" :silent:
They say similar things about us here in WA (w = wait A = awhile) :yawn: But mostly thats the way we like it. :wave: Try the new ideas and stuff on the east and once it's been sorted bring it west. And of course if it is rubbish keep it over there.
LML
LML
Brisbane_Finches_333

noah.till wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 12:30 There was something on Petlink a while back with people selling 'Indian Hill Miners', but I am pretty sure it was a scam
So.. I just made a discovery in that old book from 1974 I found - 'Hill Miners' are different to the feral Indian Mynahs in Australia. Apologies for the blurry photo, my laptop can only take selfies and they come out very rubbish. So I wonder if they were ever in our aviaries...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
noah.till

That's the ones, I am pretty sure they are used as a "common" songbird in shop windows
I doubt they are in our aviaries, but you never know
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “The Lounge”