Paradise Parrots

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We can all live in hope that the Paradise Parrot and the Tassie Tiger are both out there in the seldom visited parts hiding away quietly. But shan't hold my breath just the same.
LML
LML
Rod_L

Back in the late 80s and early 90s a couple of bird shops in Perth started advertising paradise parrots for sale. However, when I got to the shops they said they hadn't arrived yet. I waited for months and kept bugging the shops to call me as soon as they came in. They never did so it confirmed our theory of a hoax.

About the only way anyone is going to see a real genuine paradise parrot, is to visit the museum and look through their vault of preserved bird specimens, or develop a time machine and go back to the 1800's and collect some up and bring them back to today.
death to all cats & ants
E Orix

Over the years people stated that they were around hidden in so and so's place.
Yet 50 years ago they were just a rumor.
I can remember the hoo ha when it was announced that they were available but they turned out to be
either Golden Shouldered or Hooded crossed with many coloured.
I have seen the skins of true Paradise Parrots and the crosses were not that close. It just added red to areas of plumage.
One should never say never,but unlikely.
noah.till

If any would be around, they would be around the scrub around my property and Gayndah (last natural distribution)
There is an old termite mound deep in the bush on the neighbors property , and it has died out a long time ago and is falling apart, but there appears to be what looks like an old Paradise Parrot hollow in it
One of the great mysteries of the bird world, but you never know what might happen, they could just pop up somewhere least expected
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Kdawg

In the late 80's or early 90's a dealer in Springvale here in Vic advertised Paradise for sale. The birds appeared to be Bluebonnet x Mulga hybrids and looked nothing like Paradise.
Mind you I did once overhear the same dealer trying to sell a woman red crested cardinals as woodpeckers!
Just shows how low some people would stoop to make a dollar.
noah.till

There is a mutation hanging around on occasions of a Hooded Parrot with a red wing instead of a yellow wing
I think the Paradise Parrot idea in collections is of weird and wacky Neopsephotus Grass Parrot hybrids, no pure and proper birds
Thanks
Noah Till
Brisbane_Finches_333

I was reading a news article the other day that said scientists are going to use dna from the tassie tiger to bring it back to life so live in hope that they can do that with the Paradise Parrot.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Shades of an Island where reinvented dinosaurs roam. But in theory at least it is possible.
LML
LML
noah.till

I was reading yesterday why they cannot clone birds yet
It has something to do with the difference in ovaries or something like that and every time scientists have tried, the tissue dies
Thanks
Noah Till
noah.till

I was talking to some people on another forum the other day on Paradise Parrots, here is what I wrote:

"I had a very in depth thought the other night on the Paradise Parrot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_parrot)
They went extinct 1927 (as believed), but a bloke had a pair in the 1980's by the name of Bill Howlett (The Avicultural Society of NSW (ASNSW) - Obiturary - Bill Howlett)
I personally believe that there might be a few individuals left in the wild which makes me think, what would happen if they were rediscovered like the Night Parrot?
Because of the lack of genetic material obviously, they would be inbred but I had an idea that could work breeding back some numbers
Say for example you end up with a pure pair, you breed from the pair and keep the Pure chicks. Then what you would do is cross them with their closest relative, the Golden Shouldered Parrots.
Do that same thing over a few different Golden Shouldered Blood lines, and then with the Hybrid young, breed them back to the Pure Parents or Pure young so that you would end up with birds having 33.3% Golden Shouldered Parrot genes, with 66.6% Paradise Parrot genes
Of course this would be a last resort for the species, and I understand people may have different ethics about this if the issue happened
I know its crazy, but its just a thought"

Yes I agree this is very controversial, but its a thought and a possibility
Thanks
Noah Till

Return to “The Lounge”