Green Panic

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
collector_and_buyer

Does anybody that has green panic growing in their aviary unprotected from the birds actually get it to seed head stage or is most eaten off before this?
Don't know whether it would be best grown outside the aviary and picked or grow in the aviary.
What are other people's experiences.
Rod_L

Pretty much all green grass seeds (unripe seeds) are eaten by birds before they get a chance to ripen. This is typical for Australian finches and parrots because they normally breed when green grass seeds are available. If you want the seeds to grow on and ripen, then grow them outside the aviary and cut the seed stalks when you want to feed them to the birds.
The green unripe seed is easier for birds to digest. :)
death to all cats & ants
starman

Yes, outside the aviary, and preferably outside your block, on somebody else's land (unless you are on acres).
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
arthur

Bit negative there Starman . . but C&B is on acreage

Green Panic, the 'little brother' of Guinea Grass, is far less rampant, not as tall, and thus more acceptable in small to medium sized aviaries

Not only does it provide green seed, but also provides nesting sites for a large number of finch species . . be aware that stools need to be contained in cylinders of 'dog-wire' or similar mesh, lest it collapse in wet weather, with resultant losses of nests and contents

Try both inside and outside; or in large pots which can be alternated . . this will also limit the spread of this vigorous grass

My opinion is that the advantages of Green Panic far outweigh the disadvantages
collector_and_buyer

Good advice on planting into cylinders.It does tend to flop over when watered and would be catastrophic with nests in it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Until very recently. When hubby did a major chop. A quarter of my 1/4 acre was covered in "bird grass" now it is all starting to sprout again. (reticulated) The seed I poped in pots is also developing lovely heads, and is almost ready to go in the avairies.
LML
LML
starman

arthur wrote: 23 Dec 2019, 21:05 Bit negative there Starman . . but C&B is on acreage.
Arthur,
"Bird Seed" in the garden is as popular as Paterson's Curse with the 'authority' of my small suburban plot.
Fortunately, it grows freely in all of the surrounding laneways, so a short stroll usually bags me enough for daily use.
It's been a bit sparse this year due to the lack of rain.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
BONE

finchbreeder wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 10:44 Until very recently. When hubby did a major chop. A quarter of my 1/4 acre was covered in "bird grass" now it is all starting to sprout again. (reticulated) The seed I poped in pots is also developing lovely heads, and is almost ready to go in the avairies.
LML
Be careful not to transfer any vermin into the aviary by moving pots from outside. Got caught once many years ago.
collector_and_buyer

I have a patch in the aviary now that has a wire cover over it,but anything that pokes outside the cover gets hammered.Once a good patch is established,would it survive and seed without being covered?.

Return to “The Lounge”