King Quail variation

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well it's time to sort the quail again. Between Mum and I we are back up to 38 and as we do every 10/20 months we shall go through and decide which to keep and which to sell off. Why is this a big decission? Because as those who have read my previous quail posts will know, we breed for variation. Cinnimon quail are not just Cinnimon in our avairies. We have reds and dilutes and several shades in between. Now we are trying to get the same variety in the silvers, lets see if we can get from almost white silver to deep storm gray. It is all about the light and dark genes (some of the Gouldian breeders will relate to this) but we definately have a dilute gene in there which is in both Cinnimon (visual) and Silver (still looking for the effect) Take a closer look at your quail you may notice more colour variation that you thought.
LML
LML
noah.till

Wow, you are onto your king quail mutations pretty well
All mine are pure normals, no mutations in them at all
Thanks
Noah Till
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Death to the feral cats. Yesterday all was well. Today the rotten no good - cats. Have killed the outcross silver hen I bought 6 months ago and one of her latest chicks. Mums avairys need more repairs than she and I have been able to keep up with. The sod dug under, but did not get in. Must have hooked his paw up as both quail had underside clawing. Chick was dead, Mum had to be euthanased. Thats a big hiccup in the silver line. Will be able to keep 3 lines of mutations going regardless. Dilutes - the cocks look more gray, and the hens ave very pale. (good progress in colour due to line breeding, but not numbers) The Red hens are looking deeper, but a ways to go and the cock are just not getting there yet. The Silvers? Well lots to do on getting the shades right, and this has not helped.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

You might need to put in a foundation as to stop them cats, and rodents from maybe getting in just a thought.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We know what needs doing, but doing it is easier said than done by two women over 60. Cat caught in a trap and gone where he will not return. No rodent problems, too urban.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

Good luck
mr skeeter

Good luck

Return to “The Lounge”