FINCH PHOTO GALLERY

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
Kdawg

They were quite a bit smaller than the nun species we currently have.
arthur

finch pealii.jpg
PEALE's PARROT FINCH . . Were here in the early 70's, and can recall an article in AA by W.S(?)Gates on successful breeding . . Word of mouth communication regarding those Hunter Valley stalwarts Tom G. and Les M. also succeeding with Peales . . Hard to find now

PINTAILED NONPAREIL . . Much more swish than 'Pintailed Parrotfinch' IMO . . Came on ships way back when . . Diet seemed to have been a problem, with many assuming rightly or wrongly that they needed unhulled rice to survive . .Alan R. (in QFS mag) was quoted as having paid 500 quid a pair for a few of them . . so pre-decimal days, and must have been scarce as that was a lot of money (Alan wasn't short) . . I believe he bred them on and off, but lost his stock in Brisbane floods 1974?? . . Rumoured to be a few about if you look in the right places . .

BAMBOO PARROT FINCH . . Came to notice around the 80's/ 90's?? . . WA seemed to be the place for them, but not really up to speed on these birds . . Same rumours as PTNP's

To Be Continued ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Both species are here Arthur, but not sure about the peales. I'm sure they bred too many cock birds but without hens the species suffered badly and may have gone.
noah.till

Pintails are definitely here, although I have heard of a pair being kept by an ever so (not) popular 'Stamp collector', and a few gents are trying to purchase them off this fella to put with their current stocks
Here's hoping they succeed......
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
arthur

Thanks Craig . . and Kdawg . . and Orix . . and in advance, any other 'wrinklies'

Please feel free to contribute by adding your knowledge to complement, or contradict my not so reliable memories
Alf63

No one seems to have mentioned Orange-cheeks which once again seem to be making a come back.

One of our forum members once had Paradise Whydahs

Alf63
arthur

G'Day Alf

I didn't include Orange-Cheeks, because during my 'time' they have always been present; albeit in low numbers . .

I purchased my first pair in the early 70's from a well respected Sydney dealer for $90 . . a bit lower than the 'going rate' because the hen was a little bit plucked

As for P. Whydahs, I was going to include them, but my knowledge of them is limited to the chapter in QFS "The Foreigns" . . and the fact that the last(?) one supposedly died in the Perth Zoo many, many years ago

Please add your knowledge . .

PS . . I still have about a dozen more species to add to my "Gone or Just Forgotten" list . .
Kdawg

Four others I can recall from many years ago, green cardinals, indigo bunting, bramble finches and Indian rose finches.
arthur

GREY SINGING FINCH . . About 30 years ago a mate from S.A. offered me a cockbird gratis, because he couldn't find a hen . . I couldn't either, so the old bachelor stayed at home . . Only supreme optimists would hold out hope

GREEN AVADAVAT (Strawberry) . . Like the Orange-Breast these little beauties have never disappeared as such; but unlke the waxbill, they have gone from 'Boom to Bust' . . I purchased 3 pair from Ken R. in the Hunter @ $450 in the 80's, and had good success with no plucking in an 18 x 3m aviary half filled with Guinea Grass . . Green Strawberries, for whatever reason(?), were one of the few finch species placed on the NEBRS schedule, but I disagree with those who claim that the inclusion contributed to their demise . . My last 5 pair (housed in a 5 x 5m aviary) were wiped out overnight by their co-tenants, a pair of Superb Wrens . . NEVER put wrens with finches . . The current gene pool is probably not broad enough to see a resurgence . . Last info I had was that a breeder in WA had just about the entire Oz population . .
noah.till

I know of 2 fellas with them, one fella with 2 pair and a few cocks, and another fella with a hen as far as I know
Neither have bred any as far as I know, last time I heard, the bloke you mentioned over in WA Arthur is really the only person in the whole of Aus having any success at the moment....
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project

Return to “The Lounge”