Snakes in avairy

This is the spot for you to post anything and everything.
Have a good look at our other available forums before posting.
This will ensure that you post in the appropriate forum.
djb78

The problem with a mouse plague is the more food around the snakes will breed, once the mice numbers decline then the snakes start to search for other means of food namely other snakes birds and eggs, so an aviery is a nice place to dine for a hungry snake.
Sorry to hear about that Danny, tipping you have alot of avieries about 37 if memory serves me well. Hope you didn't lose any bird that's irreparable because that would be a huge downer. What have you dine to irradiatethis threat to all your birds.
Danny
arthur

CARPET SNAKE.jpg

No worries about this little guy negotiating 6mm mesh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storz

Found this little one hanging around mine the other day, fortunately on the outside
IMG_4610bb.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthur

Wouldn't like to be nipped by that one . .
Storz

Only a copperhead make you a bit sick for a few days, fortunately not really aggressive. They do not attack preferring to move away
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Touching wood. No sign of any snakes round here recently. But the first mice of the season are being seen so no garantees for the New Year. Fortunately the only birds I have ever lost to snakes are a couple of fledgling Zebs that fluttered madly while the rest of the birds sat quietly on the perches. Most gaps blocked now. Will not say all, snakes are better at finding them than I am.
LML
LML
mr skeeter

a very good friend of mine who lives on the NSW coast has just found a baby red belly black snake in one of his aviaries on close inspection there were 2 baby chaf finches and 3 baby goldfinches that had been eaten, it does not take much of a gap for them to get in. cheers mick
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I found the gaps round the doors the greatest vulnerbility of my avairys. We forget that a strip like that allows snakes to flatten themselves and slip in. So now there is a rubbery plastic strip that the doors close against.
LML
LML
arthur

6mm mesh

Sills around doors

Rat-walls

1200mm colorbond apron round perimeter . .

You CAN build snake-proof aviaries if you build properly
mr skeeter

Gday arthur my friend has very good aviaries that no mouse can get in but this baby snake must of got through a small gap under the door when it was very young vince said it was only about 12 inches long when he noticed in the nest, i think he will be rectifying this as soon as he can. cheers

Return to “The Lounge”