Grass species & Finches

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Nessy

I am interested to know if there are any specific grasses that one should avoid with finches.

As with nature it is obvious that some species are of a tropical nature & others will grow in the cooler climates.

But as a novice is there any particular grass the finch does not seem to like?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am trying to avoid any species of Lomandra grasses, as apparently they can be deathtraps. It's difficult, as thats all nurseries seem to sell :lolno:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
SamDavis

I really just wanted to say "Nessy and Jayburd your current avatar photos are awesome!"
But in an attempt to be helpful and on topic - I just cut and feed whatever grasses are growing down the paddock and have never had a problem (that I'm aware of).
GregH

As far as I know there aren't any real finch-specific problem grasses but there are declared noxious weeds that you aren't allowed to cultivate because they are invasive weeds (not usually toxic). To see if you are contemplating a particular one you can look it up on the Weeds Australia site. The problem that Jay mentioned with Lomandra is something to consider however strictly speaking Lomandra isn't actually a grass - it's related lilies in group with the drums stix and grass-trees (Xanthorrhoeaceae). Some of the spinecent grasses like desert spinifex (Triodia sp) might make great habitat for Painted firetails in the wild but in an aviary I reckon you'd possibly spear a few birds (infections blindness or even death) and nest inspections would definitely be out. I've seen other comments in the site about large tussocks affording shelter to mice and snakes if they enter aviaries too so you need to consider just how vermin-proof your aviary is too before planting. Most aviaries are less than 2.5m tall so unless you're prepared for constant pruning you shouldn't plant bamboos and other tall grasses (eg many of the sorghums) in the aviary as they will wreck the wire in windy conditions leading to escapes
Nessy

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your awesome help.

Sam the tri-coloured parrot finch is one of my most favourite birds, the colours just get me everytime I look at them.

Greg thanks for the information links, will follow up on them.

We got some November grass a while ago and there was a whole stack of seeds at the bottom of the bag once emptied. So I scattered these into a couple of long planters. At this stage we alternate them in & out of the aviary, giving them a chance to recover and get new regrowth.

Return to “Types of plants”