swamp/fairy grass

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
gomer

I have just come back from collecting my bags of grass for the Bank.I thought I would start a post for those who have not collected there own or are interested in where it can be found.

On a recent trip back home a week ago there was a small amount blown up against the Highway.Possibly two bags worth,this small amount maybe enough to stop for if you only have one aviary.The types of places it can be found is normally in wet areas that have no livestock on it or has been neglected by the owner.eg swamps,lakes,sides of the roads.

Unfortunately my spot has no ringlock mesh etc... fences to catch the grass against it for easy collection once the wind blows the dry grass against it. A place like this would be a first preference.I have still not been all around this spot so I may get lucky. I was talking to a AFF member before Christmas and he said his spot has a ringlock fence there,and if he timed it right he could get 20 bags in one spot without moving. If you have to rake it like I have to the high ground will have the driest grass first.This will rake more easy then part green grass. This year at this spot I could get a arm full of grass in three rakes standing still in the thickest area. So my advice would be find the thickest dry area you can.I find a garden rake (not a grass rake) to be the best.If you have a daggy one with concrete on it even better.Last year it took my wife and me 2.5 hours for a ute load.This year I did it myself and got more then last year in about 3 hours. Thats telling you somthing hey. ( dont tell her I said that) But seriously The thicker the area and timing is what it crucial in getting the grass quick and in prime condition.

So you have found your spot your tools you have taken should be. empty seed bags,somthing to tie it up with,a rake,gators are my preference,a hat,sun screen,plenty of beverages you chose what type,A 4wd maybe needed if going to a place in the photos below for close access,Mobile can be handy if in a isolated spot, And a good mate can be very beneficial.

Some finchos seem to have there secret spots.If like me its a 200 km round trip even talking to your AFF mates and asking if their spot is ready can save a round trip if its in a similar area.As I did with another AFF member whos spot is another 100kms north of mine.

If you are unable to collect your own we have some AFF members who can possibly supply some for you.But as with collecting your own with this commodity it is best to stay if possible a year in front with this product if you have room.

Hopfully others can add to this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
elferoz777

Thanks for sharing. I'll post some pics of my spot when I get back from Melbourne. Its a 20 step journey from the back door for me. Never used a rake but gators are something that I never leave without. Damn brown snakes.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.

Return to “Types of plants”