What types of live trees and plants in cages/aviaries?

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
E Orix

If you can't find the plant growing in the wild Queensland Finch Club sell Panic seed
gomer

You cant buy green panic from bunnings etc to answer your question.

The poa labillardieri pictured in the photo in 2009 in my aviary .Although was a good nest site for low mid nesting birds some seed aswell and at the time I wanted to stay all native. I have now converted to mostly introduced species of grasses . As Eorix suggested panics are a great food source you maybe able to grow some from seed.I had several attempts with the purple panic(guinea grass) and could not.I had great success growing veldt panic from seed though. Veldt panic is still around here at the moment found where ever you may find weeds Southern Vic. In N.S.W you have the purple panic(guinea grass) along river ways and wet areas along road sides etc.. If you do some research and have a little time you can both collect your own plants and seed yourself as they are not native.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Natboy

Thank you both for the replies.
I'll chase it up.
By the way is potting mix harmful to birds?
Cheers
Nat
gomer

I have put potting mix and a soil blend in pots in my aviaries mainly because of the amount of pots I put in one bank.The issue you will most likely have will be getting the plant established. You can either dig up a large plant and put it straight in. Or grow it from seed protect it in the aviary from the birds (wire etc..)as they love to eat new shoots.Grow it in a pot from seed and move to the aviary when large enough to sustain itself.

What I have found though the large grasses do better in the ground. This works for me because I have so many pots to attend to.And the bank where the pots are I cant go around disturbing the birds all the time.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Natboy

Thanks Gomer. I'll raise them in a planter box & then put the whole thing in the aviary.
I'm sure there is panic grass everywhere where I live but I don't want to risk any poison on it

Return to “Types of plants”