Any Help Please

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
Greg41

I found this small plant growing in the water on the edge of a nearby lake. It has red tendrils, green leaves and a pink
IMGP2053.jpg
seed head about 10 cm long.
does any one know it's name and is it safe for finches?
IMGP2053.jpg
IMGP2054.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GDG
Rod_L

A type of native rush like Juncus species, they are fine for birds. However, I would only use the seed head or parts of the plant that has been out of water. The parts that have been underwater could be contaminated with anything, from whatever gets into the water.

If there are waterbirds in the area I would leave them so there is no chance of picking up a bird virus from them. Waterbirds have a lot of bacteria and other micro-organisms in their digestive tract and I would not want that anywhere near my birds.
death to all cats & ants
Greg41

I have Googled all types of water plants and now think that it may be, Smart weed--Water pepper.
This is the plant that looks closest to what I have got.
As Rod said it could also be of the Juncus family but couldn't find any as close as the Water Pepper.

Cheers
GDG
matcho

I would just err on the side of caution given the information and possibility of transferring an "ooglie" to your birds. I have seen this plant often in my travels freshwater fishing and have seen many waterbirds foraging amongst it. For me I would say "NO".

Ken.

Return to “Types of plants”