New guinea grass and johnson grass

List what type of plants you keep in your aviaries/cages
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CRT :thumbup:
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
desertbirds

It does make an attractive verandah pot plant jusdeb,i will leave it up to someone qaulified to provide the latin names :crazy:
Pete Sara
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Mackstaa , you would be pushing poo up hill to find palm grass at a nursery over here, palm grass is also called pit pit grass, i just gave a small pot to spanna that grew between the pavers in the old place, but you may be in luck as i am planting out my aviaries and splitting a few big pots of the stuff and i might be able to spare some ...pete p.s the stuff likes a bit of water as well...
gomer

I wouldnt mind trying to grow some gatton, Does anyone know if it will grow in southern Vic.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Redwing

No wonder I'm confused! Apart from not being able to identify the plants by available photos everyone calls things by different names! Just after something that will grow in a large pot in Perth conditions that will give a long seeding for a dozen or so birds.
Pete Sara

Redwing i have guinea grass and palm grass in pots , the guinea does better for seeding than the palm , but it will bonzi a bit in the pot , guinea that i have when not in the pot can grow up to 6ft high if given the right conditions seeds a lot i cut it back to half way usually where i have wire holding it up right and it goes nuts agian... will try and post some photos of them in a few days , the palm grass doesnt like to dry out so needs to be kept moist.... the name thing is driving me nuts as well , when i bought the palm grass it had on the label new guinea palm grass / pitpit grass , just like the birds the names can be different from state to state as long as the latin name is right (if you know it) is all that matters..pete
Redwing

Where can you buy the Guinea grass Pete? Have looked in the local nurseries at all the ornamental grasses but can't find anything that looks remotely useful for birds. Pretty sure the plants at work are Palm grass. They're tucked behind a building, looks like they've been there for years, but have to wait a few months for them to start seeding again
wagga

I grow new guinea palm or what ever you like to call it, in Southern NSW.
I have it growing two ways. 1. a small 30 cm pot with saucer, only problem is the stunted growth, 30-60cm high, small amount of seed heads and it dries out quickly during the summer. 2. larger tub 50 x 75cm no saucer, good growth - 60-120cm high, large seed heads and it still dries out in summer. Both of these pots are elevated off the ground to avoid mice entry and for visual presentation. My birds did not attack these plants for nesting material. I have seen it grown locally in the ground and it reached about 150cm, but if the mice get in you will have to dig the whole plant out. This where I dug up the initial plant stock. It does not like the cold weather or frost. Once frost bitten cut the plant down to near ground level and wait for spring.
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
TomDeGraaff

I spotted this thread while searching for grasses to grow! This forum is a goldmine!!!
Do any of you out there know where a Victorian can source some tubers/ seeds of these two grasses. I would like to try to grow some.
Cheers
Craig52

Uraeginthus wrote:I spotted this thread while searching for grasses to grow! This forum is a goldmine!!!
Do any of you out there know where a Victorian can source some tubers/ seeds of these two grasses. I would like to try to grow some.
Cheers
Uraeginthus,if you would like to make a trip to Geelong i can supply you with as many guinea grass plants as you need but not Johnson grass,if you plant this in your aviary you will be very sorry you did in a couple of years. pm me if you want to, Craig

Return to “Types of plants”