Pied Painted

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Hancock

Thought i would share a few photos of a pied painted i bred from a pr of normal red painteds. It is more grizzle coloured. The bill has changed from black and red to a bright red. Always thought there was something funny about it compared to its sisters. Wasn't til i caught it up i noticed the pied markings. Just paired it up with an unrelated red male. Does anyone know the mode of inheritance for pied Painteds?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Luke
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never seen or heard of one before. Good luck in breeding her. Persume you have the parents still together?
LML
LML
Hancock

Yes parents are still together. Someone has suggested mating her back to her father to get more pieds then out cross to breed a heap of splits.
Cheers
Luke
Tiaris

I cringe whenever I hear of "mating back to a parent" to produce extra coloured birds. The parents as mated produced this one so if it is a heritable mutation they should do it again anyway. I would do just as you have & mate to a normal (preferably the best quality one you could get) to breed splits. If you breed another pied from the same parents I would mate it to a normal of different blood to the male you paired this one to in order to get two separate lines (relatively) of splits to pair back together next generation. If the adult pair haven't produced more pieds before next season, I would separate this one from the male you are pairing her to (after they produce some splits) & mate her with a different blood male. Try to use only the best available normals so that quality improvements can be made every generation throughout establishment - then by the time you establish them they will be nice birds which will appeal to others. When mutation establishment becomes a race to get as many coloured birds on the perch in the quickest possible time, the birds look burnt out by the time you get to establishment point. If you take a more patient approach with emphasis on the quality of the bird using regular good quality outcrosses right from the start & regularly throughout the process whilst selectively improving the pied trait, you will end up with something far more worthwhile.
arthur

My advice . .

Print out Tiaris' advice, and put it in your hat so that you don't lose it and don't forget where it is

Putting back to parent, not only weakens, but also breaks up a producing pair

We (should) have a better grasp of bird genetics, these days

BOL with your pieds :thumbup:
Craig52

Thanks for sharing on here mate. Tiaris is the person to confide in with his experience with these birds. Cheers Craig :thumbup:

Forgot to mention, the parents of this bird are an accidental mating brother and sister so out crossing is a must do.
arthur

YELLOW BIRD 1.jpg
YELLOW BIRD 2.jpg

While the above refers to parrots, the genetics and strategies apply equally to finches . . and to all birds

Simply replace 'yellow' with 'pied' . .

A good backup to Tiaris' input
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matt71

very nice bird , i do have some myself but some are very weak and nead out crossing , if you want to part with that bird and or the parents PM me , would be great to get new blood.
valleyfinch

I have a hen that started off similar she is now white on.the top half..every Moult she seems to gain more white.. .
valleyfinch

20170714_154530.jpg

Return to “Mutation Finches”