Red Eyed Gouldian - Aus Yellow or Lutino?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Finnigan

i was sold them as AY. never had them before.
Tiaris

OK. They look nice & are obviously breeding & rearing their young well, but they aren't Aussie yellows, sorry.
Finnigan

Im very happy with them...are the red eyes normal in the euro birds? what makes an aussie yellow?
Tiaris

Yes, single factor EYs have a plum eye & DF EYs have a more red eye. The redness generally gets darker as they mature as it usually only noticeable at juvenile stage.
AY is a recessive mutation which has a white chest & yellow over the back but usually with darker streaks of green around the neck/nape area (& sometimes other parts of the body). Some AY birds don't show the streaking - mostly very mature birds.
Blue Cuban

Tiaris wrote:She is European Yellowback. He must be DF Euro yellowback too (+WB) for all young to be YB.
If all offspring are yellow hens a SF cock is still capable of the same outcome, until there is a DF cock with normal noduels it will remain unclear as too what the cocks genetic colour is.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

SF cocks don't have clean white collar & throat as this male does, so he must be DF. Given this, the progeny would be DF cocks & SF hens.
A SF cock with a SF hen would also produce SF cocks & some normals.
Blue Cuban

Correct but only if the farther to the offspring is a European yellow and not a visual Aus Yellow like I think it is. :thumbup:

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

We are talking about Finnigan's birds here aren't we?
If the father was an AY & the mother is the EY hen in the pic, the progeny would be only split to AY & the young cocks would be SF EY, not the unambiguously paler young birds in his pic which can only be SF hens &/or DF cocks. The AY cock to EY pairing could not possibly produce either SF EY hens nor DF EY cocks (ie nothing that pale).
I didn't see where he indicated he had anything other than the pair of birds in the pics as the potential parents.
Blue Cuban

My take on the parent birds is the father is Aus yellow and mother euro yellow split Aus yellow.
The nudules of the young explains what recessive genes are lurking and the odd colour chick only provides us enough information to say the father bird is carrying at least 1 factor of Euro yellow.

This may help your confusion in understanding what I think is possibly going on here.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
Tiaris

I'm not confused at all. I just disagree that there is any evidence of AY in the parent birds at all & nothing in the progeny dispels this.

Return to “Mutation Finches”