Red Eyed Gouldian - Aus Yellow or Lutino?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Blue Cuban

Hi All,

I am a little puzzled about this Gouldian chick as to what mutation it is and after some advice.

Parents are Cock RHPBsfY (Dilute) and Hen is a OHPBYB, both of these birds where brought at separate times from a pet shop and come with no history of there genetics.

In previous clutches they have hatched chicks holding white/yellow/white nodules as if it was a Aus Yellow but none of these chicks got to open there eyes before they died, they are usually last to hatch and the runt of the clutch.

With this chick doing well and appears to be the strongest out of its siblings it has now opened its eyes displaying a obvious red colour in both eyes.
Although the picture below fails to fully show the intensity of the red to its best most if not all will agree it appears to be red.

At first I was thinking it was a Aus Yellow but after reading this post viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7383 and the fact it has red eyes im a little unsure.

Do Aus Yellows have red eyes?

Any idea people?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobby finch Keeper
elferoz777

I dont believe they do but I am no expert.

You may well have a lutino.

Guard this chick with your life!
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
ColouredFeathers

luck might be on your side but you still have to let it moult and then you will see .
good luck it looks good :thumbup:
Image Image Image
Mr Tino

Hi Richard congratulations on this find new mutation,I hope you will excessed with this bird and there be more lutino Gouldian to go around for us breeder to bred them and create new mutation with them all the best for future.

Cheer from Mr Tino :thumbup:
Last edited by Mr Tino on 02 Sep 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Cuban

Thanks guys..!!

I don't get excited easy but curiosity will be the death of me...lol

Only time will tell, this time next week I will have another good look (maybe even a little earlier..lol) and take some more pictures.

Now if this is a Lutino is this mutation recessive like the blues or sex-linked like the Belgium and American Lutino?

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
ColouredFeathers

If it is a lutino its sex linked recessive
cheers cf
Image Image Image
SamDavis

Could this be the same mutation discussed some years ago in the following thread?
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7383&start=30
Blue Cuban

SamDavis wrote:Could this be the same mutation discussed some years ago in the following thread?
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=7383&start=30
I believe so, it was this post that got me thinking when trying to find info of Aus Yellows with red eyes.

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like the same thing. So the gene is definately out there in small quantities. Good luck with this bird and it's parent/s. So maybe the parents need different mates next season to try and pull out a half sib.
LML
LML
SamDavis

It looked like the earlier thread pair bred a few young cocks too which I guess would have been possible lutino splits. I wonder if the father of this red-eyed bird is somehow related? Assuming sex-linked then Rich you'd best hang onto all the young cocks too as there is 50% chance they are split lutino just like the father.

Return to “Mutation Finches”