"Biscuit" Yellow RFPF

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Joseph

Bill,Craig and all members,
Thanks for your information and guidance. I'm hoping all goes well with this mutation of parrot finch. We will see how we go.
Thanks to all
Joe
JadeWelch

I am going with sex-linked too. I have mentioned this too Joseph too and I have my fingers and toes crossed that he breeds more and get these birds going. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke than Joseph.
arthur

Just being 'devil's advocate' again . .

I am thinking S-L-R as well because of the seagreen . . . but, in Redbrows, Crimsons, Diamonds, Saints, where the red is replaced by yellow the inheritance mode is A-R

The bird in question, particularly in Tintola's first pic looks like it could be a cock

Obviously the first step is DNA sexing
Craig52

I have to agree Arthur re autosomal recessive for the yellow but i can't help thinking that the seagreen has something to do with it as with the change of colour with the seagreen mutation to that horrible colour :lolno: of the red.
I'm playing around with a yellowish looking crimson at the moment so don't have the stuffing around of a SL mutation. Craig
Tiaris

I actually think it looks more of a blue or par-blue type mutation with the yellowing of the red areas just the side-effect. To me the body colour has a distinct bluish look about it. If so, this would also be more likely to be autosomal. Consider as a possible similar case the phases of the blue gene in the scarlet-chested neophema ie. sea-green, par-blue & white-fronted blue.
The other possibility just to further complicate matters is a double-factor sea-green (more likely sex-linked with an extra degree of difficulty thrown in).
So much to learn - all part of the excitement of a different mutation.
SamDavis

arthur wrote:The bird in question, particularly in Tintola's first pic looks like it could be a cock
Obviously the first step is DNA sexing
I agree. Would be well worth the $10 to be sure. If it is a cock then that rules out sex-linked which would greatly simplify matters.
Joseph

I think would be a good idea for me to D N A test my parrot finch
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DNA test is a good idea. And keep the normal looking siblings. Because obviously no one knows what this mutation is or what its mode of inheritance is.
And so it is best to assume, at this stage, that they will be breeding assets. Good luck in establishing this lovely little gem.
LML
LML
arthur

finchbreeder wrote:keep the normal looking siblings . .they will be breeding assets
LML
Joseph, you will have to shift of all your other finch species and devote all of your aviaries to this mutation . . too important to lose

And as $Bill says you have won lotto (so to speak)

I am sure that you have plenty of expert advisers in your circle who will assist, and a lot of well-wishers on this forum

Don't be overawed . . and . . Go for your life :thumbup:
Joseph

Hi Arthur
Yes got my Hands full for sure.
I'm going to have to redo my set up to suit this biscuit parrot Finch. But in the long run I think it's going to be a good thing.

Return to “Mutation Finches”