Bush Gouldians

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
kimberley breeder

In 2010 I purchased 20 pairs of Goulds from MF and SP. These were from the research facility- I have kept a colony going since then. I haven't gone as far as separating and strain breeding head colours. These throw all the head colours but no mutations. Good strong birds! Lost none of them during the move from up north in Kununurra to down here in Perth!
Gouldian 3

The MF and SP Gouldians were not wild caught birds - they were bought from aviculturists all over the country.
E Orix

That is only partly true. It depended on what was being researched at the time.
If it was a basic research program then run of the mill normal coloured Gouldians were used.
When finished with they were just sold off to the Sydney dealers etc.
Gouldian 3

Are you saying E Orix that any of the MF and SP Gouldians sold were wild caught birds or the progeny of wild caught birds? There seems to be a bit of a misconception out there that they were when that is not the case.
arthur

Seems pretty obvious that KB thought that the ones she bought were . . .

And she would have spoken to the vendors at some stage of the transaction
Gouldian 3

It will be interesting to hear what Kimberley breeder says but a lot of people just seemed to presume that was what they were buying for some reason Arthur.
Blue Cuban

I'm still very confused here because nobody has drawn the line to where a "Bush Gouldian" becomes a "Normal unmutated" city bird.

At the end of the day a "Bush Gouldian" is the same bird as a captive normal (unmutated) bird but with less captive influences that over a period of time I assure you they will behave and look just like any other Gouldian that's caged.

My understanding is when people use the term "Bush Gouldian" they are trying to declare that this bird is from the bush but if you keep theses birds caged long enough they will bred and suck up all the restricting elements that a Bush Gouldian isn't subjected to.

So when are these birds no longer classed as a Bush Gouldian.... After 1 generation... 2 generations..???

The point here is the minute they go into a aviary/cage they loose the ability to retain being a Bush Gouldian.
Hobby finch Keeper
E Orix

Blue Gouldian you have just made the point that I was about to post.
I just presumed that pure Gouldians would be placed in the Bush section.
The amount of Gouldians that are less than 3rd generation aviary bred would be
very small indeed.
Not even Scientists, Researchers can just set up a trap and catch wild birds, they are obtained by permit.
Any others would have to be taken illegally.
Gouldians used in research up in the Kimberleys would be from wild stock.
Gouldians from the Sydney area would be a mix, some normal purchased and some from wild stock.
A percentage of the Gouldians taken from the University were direct from wild stock.
Purchased birds were not held long,in a lot of cases to get young that they knew their exact age.
When birds are taken from the wild for research they are not to be released back into the wild
hence disposal to zoos or private collections.
Today there are so few absolute pure birds that it would be very hard to find enough to do a release.
Unfortunately a persons word that their birds were pure wouldn't be accepted by the scientific section.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blue Cuban wrote:I'm still very confused here because nobody has drawn the line to where a "Bush Gouldian" becomes a "Normal unmutated" city bird.

At the end of the day a "Bush Gouldian" is the same bird as a captive normal (unmutated) bird but with less captive influences that over a period of time I assure you they will behave and look just like any other Gouldian that's caged.

My understanding is when people use the term "Bush Gouldian" they are trying to declare that this bird is from the bush but if you keep theses birds caged long enough they will bred and suck up all the restricting elements that a Bush Gouldian isn't subjected to.

So when are these birds no longer classed as a Bush Gouldian.... After 1 generation... 2 generations..???

The point here is the minute they go into a aviary/cage they loose the ability to retain being a Bush Gouldian.
Too true....as they are bred for certain traits. .. artificial selection and minimal gene pool in a closed environment. ...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Gouldian 3

Yes and no. The trick with Bush anything is to appreciate them for what they are and to keep them together. That and to cull them indiscriminately. As soon as they are paired to a mutation or the domesticated version they are immediately lost.

Return to “Mutation Finches”