Aust yellow back gouldians

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Tass

Hi guys

I know this topic has kept popping up, I've looked at previous post on this subject and I thought I was getting it but then it just turned upside down.
when i bought my birds I was one of those people that got "those pretty yellow birds' , now I know there's 2 different types of mutations so need help.

I have attached 2 photos (first time tried this).

The greenback has a white bib and person said this means he's split to white breast. He also has a yellow smudge on the back of his head,
The yellowback , when I bought him had green also on his back but that mostly molted out. Around the area around his face is all white , NO grey or blue.

I dont want to cross mutations, I know these are both cocks , I have a yellowback female.

i think they are AYB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

The pale flecks usually indicate that the bird is split to Australian yellow.
Tass

Thanks Tiaris , is that also how you ID the yellowback as AYB and not EYB , the paleness on the wings , flights or the whiteness around the face.
Tiaris

Many (but not all) Australian yellows have green streaks around the back/nape area. Euro yellow only have clean yellow and white throat on double factor males. Single factor males have unclean yellow on the back and a grey throat. A white breast is a separate mutation when appearing on a Euro yellow whereas Australian yellow exhibits a white breast without carrying the white-breasted mutation. If a white-breasted, yellow-backed bird is bred from green backed parent(s), then it is very likely Australian Yellow (recessive). Euro yellow is a dominant mutation so green birds cannot be split to it. Further, if yellow-backed, white breasted birds appear in aviaries/flocks containing flecked splits as shown in the pic, Aust yellow is most likely.

Return to “Mutation Finches”