Australian Yellow Cubans

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Cmendi00

Hello to all in the group,

I was wondering if anyone started working with this mutation in group ? I am currently in the process of getting a similar mutation established here in U.S.

Regards, Carlos

Here is a picture of one of my pairs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

Very nice, your birds are heavy or reversed pieds. I'm not sure if the breeder continued on with this mutation here in Australia, someone might comment. Craig
Tiaris

As Craig has indicated, Your's differ from the "Australian Yellow" ones in that the male Aussie ones are clear yellow with no dark markings at all. Your's has a much more vivid yellow in the hen though - Aussie yellow ones are significantly greener by comparison.
I don't know who is still working on breeding Australian yellow Cubans but I hope they haven't been allowed to dwindle away as they are a striking mutation. All they would require for more widespread popularity (IMO) is a build up in numbers and associated drop in price from what they were previously offered for to something more accessible to those who would otherwise consider purchasing some.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Those really are very heavily pied. Never seen anything that white/yellow in Cubans anywhere.
LML
LML
Cmendi00

The mutation that I am working with is known as a progressive pied. The birds are born normal and and after each moult the pied markings become more evident. This delayed nonuniform pigment pattern is called vitiligo, which also occurs in humans. IT causes melanocyte pigment cell death resulting in a nonuniform pigment pattern. The inheritance still needs further research. The majority of the birds turn out to be very heavy pieds. I will try and post another picture of a male that is completely white and yellow. I believe some of you are working with similar mutation of the red cheeked cordon bleu.

Regards, Carlos
GouldianGuy

Cmendi00 wrote: 28 May 2017, 01:11 The mutation that I am working with is known as a progressive pied. The birds are born normal and and after each moult the pied markings become more evident. This delayed nonuniform pigment pattern is called vitiligo, which also occurs in humans. IT causes melanocyte pigment cell death resulting in a nonuniform pigment pattern. The inheritance still needs further research. The majority of the birds turn out to be very heavy pieds. I will try and post another picture of a male that is completely white and yellow. I believe some of you are working with similar mutation of the red cheeked cordon bleu.
Makes a lot of sense! very cool
Cmendi00

Here is picture of a really nice male.
Cmendi00

IMG_5520.jpg
Here is picture of a really nice male.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arthur

I'm already a bit of a 'sucker' for yellow mutations . .

But I'm hooked :soppy:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is totally clean of any dark feathering. So see what you mean about the annual feather change. Very pretty and interesting. I do not surpose you have progressive photos of any one bird?
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”