Australian Finches - Yellow Mutations - Do They Exist?

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Boma

I read with interest the latest Finch Price Guide issued by one of the Finch Societies. Some of the mutations that are listed include Yellow Diamond Firetail and Yellow Red-browed. Just wondering if anyone is breeding these mutations in Australia? Although not listed, does anyone know if the Yellow Crimson Finch is being bred in captivity here? I thought these mutations did not exist/could not get established in Australia - but I could be wrong.
starman

Hi Boma,

The Yellow Diamond Firetail and the Yellow Red Browed are both listed in the 2017 QFS Price Guide. Before I read the guide I always thought that the Yellow Red Brow referred to the Lesser Red Brow....I had never heard of the Yellow Diamond Firetail and certainly had never heard of a Yellow Crimson.

Obviously I am not going to be the one to shed any light on this subject or help you out on this .... I was unaware that these mutations even existed before seeing them in the guide. It would be great if some one could post some pics.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Boma

I have seen photos of the Yellow Diamond and the Yellow Red Browed. I believe that the Yellow Diamond is established in Europe. The Yellow Crimson is also in Europe and I recall seeing a video of a wild Yellow Crimson. But whether these exist in Australian aviaries, well that's the question...
starman

Boma wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 18:05 But whether these exist in Australian aviaries, well that's the question...
As they are listed (and priced) in the QFS guide, I'd say they must be being bred and are (or recently were) available for purchase somewhere in our home market.....?
Sm.
Craig52

We did have the yellow diamond and they were being bred by a Melbourne breeder who would not sell to others. He had an offer he couldn't refuse and sold them to a breeder in WA who has since lost the lot i believe a few years ago. I haven't seen or heard of any since then.
I bought some YD's from a breeder who had an aviary full of them in central West Victoria but after a few months they converted back to normal red rump/ beaks. It turned out it was what he was feeding them, just plain canary and nothing else. Canary seed is full of yellow carotene and it changed their colour to an orange/yellow. :irked:
Yellow redbrows are around and i had some myself but only hens and i have never seen a yellow rumped/bill cock bird. My experience with them is that all the hens are infertile and never reproduced hence there are probably none in our aviaries.
I keep crimsons myself and very experienced with them, but i do know of one person who has seen yellow crimsons in the wild infact a white one as well. As far as i know but could be wrong, no one breeds yellow crimsons or golden crimsons as they are known here.
European breeders love these mutations and breed for it out of boredom i think :silent: as most don't have aviaries but cabinet breed or foster the young as they have little or no new blood of Australian finches so these mutations pop up regularly, and yes i believe this contributes to mutations where others do not. imo. Craig
starman

What an interesting post Craig , .....sort of a mini-masterclass on the subject. :clap: Brilliant.
Sm.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i believe this contributes to mutations
If you have a mutation, in a closed ecosystem it will multiply faster and be less likely to vanish. If that closed ecosystem is run by a human it is even more likely to be assisted in multiplying mutations and preventing them from failing to florish.
LML
LML
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 19:44 We did have the yellow diamond and they were being bred by a Melbourne breeder who would not sell to others. He had an offer he couldn't refuse and sold them to a breeder in WA who has since lost the lot i believe a few years ago. I haven't seen or heard of any since then.
I bought some YD's from a breeder who had an aviary full of them in central West Victoria but after a few months they converted back to normal red rump/ beaks. It turned out it was what he was feeding them, just plain canary and nothing else. Canary seed is full of yellow carotene and it changed their colour to an orange/yellow. :irked:
Yellow redbrows are around and i had some myself but only hens and i have never seen a yellow rumped/bill cock bird. My experience with them is that all the hens are infertile and never reproduced hence there are probably none in our aviaries.
I keep crimsons myself and very experienced with them, but i do know of one person who has seen yellow crimsons in the wild infact a white one as well. As far as i know but could be wrong, no one breeds yellow crimsons or golden crimsons as they are known here.
European breeders love these mutations and breed for it out of boredom i think :silent: as most don't have aviaries but cabinet breed or foster the young as they have little or no new blood of Australian finches so these mutations pop up regularly, and yes i believe this contributes to mutations where others do not. imo. Craig
Some good info there Craig, thanks for sharing :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

Pics of the yellow diamond firetail

image.png
image.png
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is on nice looking birdy. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”