Mutations

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
Louisb

Goog day,
What mutation is this?
Thanks!
23132114_1117772845021878_3289762498572617351_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tiaris

I'd say it is a combination of 2 mutations: White-breasted and European Yellow (single factor) - also known as pastel.
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 06:31 I'd say it is a combination of 2 mutations: White-breasted and European Yellow (single factor) - also known as pastel.
I'd go along with that Graham :thumbup:
Craig52

Agree Tiaris, over there they call it a white breasted pastel dilute. Craig
garyh

I think there is more to this bird ,if it was a sf pastel the yellow on the belly would be much paler,compared to Australian birds it would not be yellow at all,also there would be no yellow tinge in the back,imo,very nice bird though,garyh
Tiaris

The white-breasted gene does usually combine to result in a yellow back on single factor birds and the degree of this "dilution" is also very variable between individuals.
I don't understand why you would think there would be no yellow on the belly - we are not talking about a blue mutation as well. WB & pastel both retain a yellow belly.
The grey on the throat confirms Euro yellowback/pastel rather than the other known diluted and yellow mutations at play IMO and the breast colour is self-evident.
Finchy

I think it's a paler-than-usual (they vary) single factor Pastel, orange headed, white-breasted.
Craig52

garyh wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 08:40 I think there is more to this bird ,if it was a sf pastel the yellow on the belly would be much paler,compared to Australian birds it would not be yellow at all,also there would be no yellow tinge in the back,imo,very nice bird though,garyh
Gary, i think you are confused with pastel in blues. This is a pastel yellow with a white breast with the WB contributing to the overall diluting of the body. Again i agree with Tiaris. Craig
STUART WHITING

Tiaris wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 11:28 The white-breasted gene does usually combine to result in a yellow back on single factor birds and the degree of this "dilution" is also very variable between individuals.
I don't understand why you would think there would be no yellow on the belly - we are not talking about a blue mutation as well. WB & pastel both retain a yellow belly.
The grey on the throat confirms Euro yellowback/pastel rather than the other known diluted and yellow mutations at play IMO and the breast colour is self-evident.
Spot on, Very much agree with this Graham :thumbup:
STUART WHITING

Craig52 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 16:51
garyh wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 08:40 I think there is more to this bird ,if it was a sf pastel the yellow on the belly would be much paler,compared to Australian birds it would not be yellow at all,also there would be no yellow tinge in the back,imo,very nice bird though,garyh
Gary, i think you are confused with pastel in blues. This is a pastel yellow with a white breast with the WB contributing to the overall diluting of the body. Again i agree with Tiaris. Craig
Agree :thumbup:

Return to “Mutation Finches”