Gouldian breast colours

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
alvin

finchbreeder wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 09:59 Oh dear. Time to mention another posibility. Could the parents have recessive "Aussie yellow genes" that have been lurking? The reason that the Aussie yellow gene turns the back yellow and the breast white is because the Aussie yellow is actually a recessive pied. (observation of the inheritance of the gene as compared with the same type of mutation in hook bills)
LML
I don't keep the AY and stay clear from them as I don't want AY in my blue Gouldian's. I have been breeding my own blood lines for years now. This cock is 5 years old and has been with different hens every year. As I said in my previous comments, I took the Euro yellow hen away from the silver cock, This cock has paired with 2 hens every breeding season for the past 3 years, strange but true. This is why I took her out. I got back from my holiday and found 2 large chicks about 2 weeks old and 2 that had just hatched that day. A green back cock and a Euro yellow hen will not produce this result.
It was paired with the green back cock, had 3 nests of 4, all purple breasted young, SF cocks, green back hens which is the expected outcome.
This aviary had 3 GB cocks (brothers) and 3 euro yellow hens. (all purple breasted birds)

No yellow backs produced from this pair after that 1st clutch.
No white breasts produced.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All good, just a thought that had occured to me. :thumbup:
LML
LML

Return to “Mutation Finches”