Gouldian Head Colour - Breeding Results

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
D0NKEY

Hi all,

Hoping I can reach out for an opinion on what head colour the parents may be from the following pairing and offspring results;

Cock: RH PB BB / AY
Hen: BH AY / Blue

Offspring:

Cocks:
BH PB BB / AY

Hens:
BH PB AYB
RH AY / Blue
YH AY / Blue
RH Normal / Blue / AY

Trying to work out what head colour genes the parents have in order to produce that combo.

So far I have come up with;

Cock.. RH / BH / YH
Hen.. BH / YH

Very interested in what a more experienced breeder thinks. The YH in the young hens is what is throwing me off, and I can only assume both parents hold the YH gene? Since I have young of both sexes with black heads, again Im assuming that both parents hold BH gene. Only thing Im not sure of is if the cock is a RH or YH .....

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Tiaris

Yes, either that one or RH/BH/YH male to Yellow-billed BH female. Both this mating and the one you suggested will give the full range of head colours in the progeny of both sexes, but the yellow-billed hen one is much preferred (the only one I'll use with a RH/BH/YH male) as all progeny have known genotype. The BH/YH hen with same cock will give unknown genotype progeny in RH & BH with red-tipped bill.
I also regularly use a YH/BH male to a BH/YH female for the same full range of head colour in progeny and all with known genotype.

Return to “Mutation Finches”