Gouldians - Perth

An area to discuss new and established colour mutations.
alvin

These young come from a SF yellow back and a yellow hen PB/RH, the centre one has always shown signs as being different. Initially I thought the one on the end would be a green back hen, but as it started to feather, I see it is a SF cock. Any input from mutation experts out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Craig52

The breast colour has a lot to do with back colour imo. You know what WB does to a SF cock bird and so does the lilac chest affect it as well to partially affect the back colour ? Craig
alvin

Hi Craig
Yes I am aware of that, The dad was not that colour in the nest, there were actually two the same colour and one turned out to be a white breast and the other lilac. I posted a topic on the breast colour. A lot of that surrounded the breast colour cannot be split for the 3 colours, parents being purple breasted (can`t guarantee whether breast is split). Does lilac breast produce a yellow back in the SF.
garyh

An older forum member on here a few years ago had sf yb lilac breasted birds,garyh
alvin

Hi Gary
The pic shown is a LB SF cock. My question is, does lilac breast change the back colour of the bird to yellow as the white breast does in the SK cock.
garyh

I would say yes at a guess because i have never seen a sf lilac breasted green back cock,but could be wrong,garyh
alvin

We will have to wait for them to colour up.
hanabi

Hello Alvin,

Looks to me like you have a Red head, Lilac breast, single-factor Euro yellow cock.

A lot of that surrounded the breast colour cannot be split for the 3 colours,

Remember when I made that comment in the other thread I was talking about a single gene location. So the most widely known single-location breast-colour gene that produces purple, lilac, or white in Gouldian breasts cannot have three states simultaneously, i.e. a single bird cannot hold purple and lilac and white genes at that single location (because genes work in pairs, not triples). But as I also pointed out, other genes (i.e. at different locations in the genome) can affect the colour of the same body location, a good example is a Star finch that can be Fawn + Cinnamon (i.e., a Yellow-bodied Star finch). And as Tiaris correctly pointed out (something I didn't realise, so thanks Tiaris) the Gouldian Aussie yellow gene can produce a white chest. So in the end, a Gouldian can be double-split, triple-split, quadruple split etc. when we are talking about different gene locations. I.e, A red split black split yellow head, purple split white breast, green + yellow split blue split Aussie yellow back..... etc.

If you were seeing chicks in a single clutch with three different breast colours, the only possibilities that I can see are:

(1) Two separate gene locations at work (i.e., the most common breast gene location plus the Aussie yellow gene), or
(2) Another cock (with different breast genes) mated with your hen, or
(3) A different hen (with different breast genes) laid an egg in that nest.
(4) A new mutation (unlikely).

I can't think of any other possibilities offhand.

Does lilac breast produce a yellow back in the SF.

This is exactly what I have been wondering and investigating over the last 9 months. I currently have a Lilac gene experiment underway and although I only have some preliminary results and I can't make any conclusive statements I might post some observations in this thread.

All in my humble opinion, and very happy to be corrected.

Cheers.
alvin

I don't keep aussie yellow sand there hasn't been any signs of them in my birds. The aussie yellow is a white breasted bird. Someone on the forum said it is a different white to the green back white breasted. I wouldn`t have thought so as they both come from normal Gouldian. That cock has a purple breasted father (DF pastel blue, or a green back purple breast, yellow hen PB, green hen PB. These 4 birds were in the aviary. The yellow hen and DF pastel blue cock weren`t birds I bred, But none of my birds ever produced a white or lilac breasted bird. I had the DF pastel blue with a normal white breast the year before to breed purple/white breasts, all were purple split white breasts. This confuses me to, I have been breeding mutations for more than 10 years. That centre bird has looked different since it hatched, as it feathers up, there is still a difference, my thoughts are maybe it is a lilac breast.
Craig52

alvin wrote: 29 Apr 2018, 20:25 I don't keep aussie yellow sand there hasn't been any signs of them in my birds. The aussie yellow is a white breasted bird. Someone on the forum said it is a different white to the green back white breasted. I wouldn`t have thought so as they both come from normal Gouldian. That cock has a purple breasted father (DF pastel blue, or a green back purple breast, yellow hen PB, green hen PB. These 4 birds were in the aviary. The yellow hen and DF pastel blue cock weren`t birds I bred, But none of my birds ever produced a white or lilac breasted bird. I had the DF pastel blue with a normal white breast the year before to breed purple/white breasts, all were purple split white breasts. This confuses me to, I have been breeding mutations for more than 10 years. That centre bird has looked different since it hatched, as it feathers up, there is still a difference, my thoughts are maybe it is a lilac breast.
It is a lilac breasted bird Alvin and it can just appear like many other mutations do so if you like it you can now reproduce it. I'm pretty sure it is autosomal recessive. It was me who said the pure Aussie yellow's white breast is a separate white breast mutation to the white breasted gouldian of which i have proved years ago but these days it just might be a mixture of both.
I believe that your birds back colour is the result of it having a lilac breast as the less melanin of the deep purple breast should effect the back colour similar to a white breasted mutation does on a single factor cock bird.
Your bird seems to have a dirty yellow coloured back with some darker streaks in it so due to the lilac breast with the extra melanin in it it seems logical why it is this dirty yellow and not canary yellow. imo Craig

Return to “Mutation Finches”